News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2009 WESTERN USA Tiger Ride-In TAHOE

Started by TigerTrax, December 14, 2008, 04:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger Rider

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Western Tiger Ride-In
Sept 25 -27 2009
Strawberry Lodge ( 12 miles from Kyburz, CA )
Kyburz, CA

POC: Kyle Thomas    mailto:kdt2231@comcast.net">kdt2231@comcast.net

GPS Points:
Lat: 43.742691
Long: -84.621620

N 43° 44.56146 min
W 084° 37.2972 min

I think those GPS coordinates need to be updated.  :D

voyageur

A few weeks ago I met another Triumph Tiger owner just by chance. We met while riding. We have since met a couple of times and rode this past weekend. Here are a couple of pictures which will give you an idea of the roads we are considering for this event.

Forest Hill Ridge runs up into the Sierra Nevada from the west and turns to dirt at Soda Springs Road

Popping out onto French Meadows leads to the Reservoir

Outside of Georgetown there's this road that links up with Mosquito Ridge.

These thumbnails open in a larger format if you click on them. By the way, if you are on Facebook, I have created this event within that media. If you have a Facebook account go ahead and let me know if you're attending or not. It's just a click away Western States Triumph Tiger Ride In on Facebook
Just about a month away folks! Looking forward to the event.

Tiger Tail

Thanks for the update Kyle! Nice pics and especially of the great roads in that area. We've ridden the French Meadows route a few times and I've camped at Loon Lake and ridden Ice House road and done the Rubicon on dirt bikes too :shock: . Great roads! Beautiful area!

I'll be doing a ride starting on 21st Sept. up to Lassen, Shasta and the Trinity Alps, and eventually down to Garberville. I plan to arrive in Kyburz either late Friday night or early AM on Saturday the 26th. I am hoping a couple of Bay Area Tiger riders show up as well.

I will put the word out once again on other forums.  

Thanks,

Patrick

coachgeo

Quote from: "Tiger Tail"... done the Rubicon on dirt bikes too :shock: ...
Is the Tiger to heavy to do the Con?  I would be soooooo happy if I could do the Con.  Had to sell my Unimog and all the parts and pieces to build my dream Expedition Camper. It was being setup as Con capable.  If I could still do Con on my Tiger I would be sooo freaking happy.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

JetdocX

Quote from: "coachgeo"
Is the Tiger to heavy to do the Con?  I would be soooooo happy if I could do the Con.  Had to sell my Unimog and all the parts and pieces to build my dream Expedition Camper. It was being setup as Con capable.  If I could still do Con on my Tiger I would be sooo freaking happy.

No freakin' way. :wink:
From parts unknown.

coachgeo

Quote from: "JetdocX"
Is the Tiger to heavy to do the Con?  I would be soooooo happy if I could do the Con.  ...

Not even if you took every bypass huh... shitz....  sucks to watch dreams die.  Esp ones you spent 20 years preparing for.

Jon KB

My friend Kim and I will be leaving Tacoma WA on Monday the 21st.
We plan on seeing a fair amount of eastern Oregon and northern California before we arrive on Friday night. We looked up "motorcycle roads" in OR and CA and planned the trip around as many as we could line up. Google maps claims it will take 33 hours at an average of 43mph. 43 mph avg I wonder what the top end will be? Not as high as I'd like, but the Tiger needs to make the round trip with minimal repairs. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of Tigers together, I hope lots of folks show, but either way it's going to be a great 8 - 10 day trip. See you all there.
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time
mailto:ttigerfoot@gmail.com\">ttigerfoot@gmail.com

Tiger Tail

Quote from: "JetdocX"

I've seen the Jeep guys out there on the Rubicon. Takes 'em hours and hours to go a mile or two in the big rock sections. :roll: UniMog? You're kidding, right? The Jeep guys mostly tow each other through ... and break things. I guess they dig it ... I don't get it. 95F temps not the place to have fun jacking up Jeeps and snapping cables and straps.

I had trouble on my Enduro race bike ... and that was 15 years ago. The Rubicon is tough. Might I suggest you take your Unimog to Africa and have some real fun .... or maybe just drive it out into the desert in Texas until you run out of fuel!  :twisted:

coachgeo

Quote from: "Tiger Tail"....I've seen the Jeep guys out there on the Rubicon. Takes 'em hours and hours to go a mile or two in the big rock sections. :roll: UniMog? You're kidding, right? The Jeep guys mostly tow each other through ... and break things. I guess they dig it ... I don't get it. 95F temps not the place to have fun jacking up Jeeps and snapping cables and straps.

I had trouble on my Enduro race bike ... and that was 15 years ago. The Rubicon is tough. Might I suggest you take your Unimog to Africa and have some real fun .... or maybe just drive it out into the desert in Texas until you run out of fuel!  :twisted:
Have done the Rubicon many times.  Unimog I WAS building was based on a 404 which is no larger than a Mid sized truck.  W/out a camper box on it, there would be no problem doing the Con.  Which was the plan.  Why I was building a tow behind trailer instead that would NOT be pulled deep into the Con.  Would be left behind as a base camp or left at home.

Only people who break things on the Con are idiots or unprepared rigs or those folk who like to push things to the limit.  Sometimes the idiots and pushers can be one in the same but not allways.

By your scowl emoticon and your idiot suggestion for me to let my Mog run out of fuel in the desert*, Im guessing your not a supporter of jeepers on the trail.  Too bad.  Some of the best folk I've ever met are in those ranks. They are the ones who are the biggest enviromentalist of that trail and scores of others. They do the most work to maintain it. Check out "Friends of the Rubicon"  and the "Blue Ribbon Coalition"(sp?). You'll find most all of the members are 4wd offroaders.

*BTW my Mog was possibly more green than any rig you have.  It ran on veg. oil and with aired down tires it puts a less lbs per sqaure inch on the ground offroad than one thinks.  At crawl speeds like used offroads there is no tire spin like you would get with a bike either.

Tiger Tail

Hey no offense, nothing against Unimogs, just that the Jeep guys come out in the hundreds! (ever been to Moab?) Gets a bit much! I like low profile.

I don't know much about trucks, campers or 4X4's, but I do support BRC and have for years.

I did see a couple UniMogs in Baja once. Germans. These went for over $100,000 If I remember what the owner told us correctly.

I don't have any "Rig" at all. I'm a motorcyclist.
My Jeep buddies (who ride bikes) and their clubs, DO a lot of work on trails ... your right  :thumbsup
And the good guys out here know this and respect it. But then, rigs and Quads are hard on trails ... but they are quiet and polite.
I like the Bio Diesel idea. Very cool.

Patrick

voyageur

I'm kind of new to posting in a forum, as you can see in my profile I think I'm still in the single digits. That being said I'd like to ask that the posts be kept on topic. Some riders will be reading all the posts to catch up on the information and it may frustrate them to read about Unimogs and the Rubicon. I'm politely and respectfully asking that posts on this thread be kept to the Western States Tiger Ride In. Thanks!

Todd the Tiger

Count me and the gal in for the RideIN.
We're coming up from Los Angeles and probably take the scenic route US-395 to hit a couple National Parks too.
Anyone else riding up from the SoCal?

voyageur

OK Western States Tiger Ride In riders. Martin Pawson, his brother Graeme, and I did a full day ride with a rather tough dirt option this past weekend. It rained along the crest of the Sierra, hailed some, and was generally cold. Adventure at its best. Of course most of your adventure will come in the form of your travel to and from this event.

I will be sending an e-mail out this week to those names I have on the distribution list. The note will have a response attached to it indicating if you will be attending or not. I have a rough number but want to get a little better idea so I can notify Robin at the Strawberry Lodge and other people along the route.

This event is being billed as a Tahoe ride. Emerald Bay here is as good as Tahoe gets in my opinion. The aspen should just about start turning around the weekend of the event. It should be beautiful. It will be cold, bring your liners and it could rain. The Sierra is unpredictable any time of year. Please keep in mind I have never done this before. Come with low expectations and high self sufficiency and I believe it will be worth your while. I met Martin a little over a month ago. The only thing we had in common is Triumph Tigers. Over the course of just a couple of rides a friendship is forming. It is my hope this process will be repeated over the course of this event. Maybe it won't but how many times do you get to see another Tiger on the road?

JetdocX

The aspens started turning this weekend.

I can take a few adventurous souls and their Tiggers into the hills for some dirty fun and the added bonus of abandoned train tunnels high above Truckee.

Anyone?  The f650 guys enjoyed the ride immensely! :D

[/url]
From parts unknown.

Jon KB

Sounds like a plan
I am a rank beginner at riding Tigers and worse going off road but I can handle your basic forest roads and such
I'll be real interested to hear more about it when we get there.
Too many hobbies,
Not enough time
mailto:ttigerfoot@gmail.com\">ttigerfoot@gmail.com