News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

replacing rear brake pads

Started by TriumphTengu, December 21, 2008, 06:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TriumphTengu

How do I get the Blue Meanie off the ground?  I don't have a center stand and the engine doesn't look like it's Pep Boys lift jack friendly.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ho, Ho, Ho and a Merry Christmas!
Jim in Austin
Are We Having Fun Yet?

JetdocX

Center stand.  The gift that keeps on giving. :wink:
From parts unknown.

Kiwi Tiger

ditto centerstand

but you could sling it with some ratchet type tie down straps.
Silver 2006 955i Tiger

HappyMan

My Girly has both center stand and bash plate so I haven't had to worry about it but with some of my other bikes I've hung the rear from the rafters and strapped the front end down to something and it's worked fine.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Yukon

Prior to obtaining a center stand, I suspended the bike with ratchet tie downs using the passenger peg support rails.   However, I don't think you will need to get the rear wheel off the ground just to change the rear pads.  After you have removed the pads, the caliper assembly can also be removed so that you can easily compress the caliper pistons.

The Kurgan

When I dig my garage out (4 feet of snow)... I'll take a photo.

Suffice it to say that you can use a standard motorcycle stand that is designed to lift directly by the swingarm (which I don't recommend -- scratches), or by the use of swingarm bobbins.  :lol:

Since you can't screw-in swingarm stand bobbins, I used two bolts on either side of the rear axel. Both are grade 8. Works perfectly!

One bolt is thicker than the other (as the size of the opening is different on either side)... and the sizes escape me at the moment. Standard US Imperial size bolts seems to work fine. Each bolt should sit into the axel at least a inch or more to ensure stability.

I wish I could use a standard ATV stand, but the Tiger doesn't have a cradle type frame. The swing arm stand is the next best thing, unless you have a center stand. No thanks... the Tiger is heavy enough as it is.  8)
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

geotiger

I didn't take the wheel off to change the pads on my 05.  It was just on the side stand.  You can take caliper off when you remove the two bolts and that should be all you need to do, unless of course you are changing the rotor too.
"The one thing we can learn from history is that we don\'t learn from history." - Shaw