News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tune / ECU Question

Started by Stretch, January 07, 2009, 03:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULATOR

Try this:

go out DO not touch anythign on the bike,  start it ( no touchy throttle or any inputs)

let the bike idle,  it should eventually kick on the fan,  but let it idle for at least 12 or more minutes past teh fan kicking on and back off...

Id have t research the technique since I haven't done it in a while...used to work wonders on my sprint

this will reset the computer and it will re read the sensors..

when you shut it off/ had a problem what altitude were you at?

and what are you at now?

it may still be running on its last setting ( its in the short memory)

if you had a tune boy you could adaptive reset it.

Stretch

Thanks, Regulator.  

I was at about 1000' elevation when I drained all the voltage out of the system, and am at about 750' here, so the elevation change shouldn't make a hell of a lot of difference to the Barometric Pressure Sensor, I think.  But then, if the voltage was way low, the sensors wouldn't read correctly, would they?  Hmmmmm...

One of my Triumph gurus, the former Service Manager at Atlanta Triumph-Ducati, told me to give the "12-minute-tune" a whirl.  I just talked with him a while ago, so I'll try it in the morning.  From talking with him, this is what's required to make the ECU self-adapt.  This is the starting point.  He told me that if this doesn't do the trick, to bring him the bike and let him reload the TOR tune.  

Thanks for the tip.

By the way, he told me that Atlanta Triumph-Ducati closed its doors in November.

REGULATOR

Here is some info from a  Rocket 3 forum,  I've also done this with my sprint before..     I know use my tuneboy and just hit one button and it does the same thing...

1. Start the motor from cold without touching the throttle.
2. Let it idle until the fan cuts in.
3. Let it idle for a further 12 minutes.
4. Switch it off, job done.

What does 12 minute tune accomplish ??

The 12 minute tune is actually used , per Triumph shop manual , to acclimate ECM to different altitudes and climates. If you bought the bike in Jersey and stay in Jersey, there is no need for the "12 Minute" tune....... :tasty:  

Drago is right... but there is more.. if you go to page 11.133 of the shop manual it goes on to say you may need to do it if you have installed a new part (Like an exhaust system) that has different characteristics than the old part.

The engine management system is adaptive, and should operate from a fixed base line within a ceratin parameter. If you go outside these parameters... like moving from Vail, Colorado to Miami Beach, you may need to reset the base... ie do the 12 minute tune. If you mess with certain sensors (and I'm not going to tell you which ones) you will need to do the 12 minute tune. The 12 minute tune forces the ecm to make adaptive changes.

As Disco so perfectly stated... if you use the kill switch the ecm may loose its ability to "remember" its last settings, but that will sort itself out if you cease to use the kill switch after 3 running cycles. This is because you really haven't changed the baseline settings. It will "find its way" so to speak. I advised pbbeck to try the 12 minute tune soley because it is about the only thing he can do at home without test equipment... and he really can't hurt anything by trying it. The only way this will fix his problem is if the problem was caused by a sensor wiring harness having an intermitant open circuit which may cause the ecm to think that the baseline had changed. You can have an open circuit without throwing a check engine light if that open circuit is brief and isn't duplicated by the ecm.

Anyway... everyone is right.. I think.. :-D :-D except for me who is always wrong...

But you shouldn't do the 12 minute tune just because you feel like it or you think you might get 1.2 extra horsepower out of it. As soon as you do it the ecm starts to "adapt" itself right back to where you were originally...

:-D whew :-D

Stretch

Aaaahhh... that explains the 'Don't Use The Kill Switch' axiom that I've heard, but never have had explained.  I've been using the key switch to kill the engine because of this, but no one could explain exactly why.

Thanks.

REGULATOR

and yes the Atlanta shop cloesed, but I heard a new north ga shop opened ( moto 400?)

and of course Augusta Triumph is still kicking...

Lucky for me the same stuff that worked on my 2001 Sprint works on my rocket and my Tiger...

Stretch

I didn't know about ATD until Mike told me this evening.  I do all my own work, and order parts from elsewhere...

yeah, the newest one is Moto400 up in Dawsonville...  http://www.moto400.com/

Too far from me, but Flux will be happy.

Stretch

I did the '12-minute tune' this afternoon, with no appreciable difference in top-end performance.  But that's cool, this was just the starting point for the ECU diagnostics.  I'll have the TOR tune reloaded soon.  If that doesn't do the trick, it must be the more restrictive stock air filter keeping big air from flowing at Wide-Open Throttle.  I had gotten used to the K&N (installed by the previous owner), so if reduced WOT is the price to pay for better filtration when riding in dust (which I do frequently), so be it.

pletdj

This is great info Stretch!
I have a K&N in my bike and am waiting to see what you find out.  I just purchased it with the K&N already installed, so i am not much help for you to compare differences.
I am pretty much a pavement pounder so the dust is not much worries for me ! :5moped
2005 Triumph Tiger
2004 BMW Boxer Cup Replika

Stretch

Thanks.  I'll keep this thread updated.

REGULATOR

Pretty sure my bike is stock style airfilter..

has TOR and tor Tune ...   no issues with wide open

Stretch

Unless you've run that particular bike with a high-flow filter, you've nothing to compare it to.

Stretch

Well, I finally rode down to Augusta (Georgia) Triumph-Ducati last weekend and had them reload the Off-Road Tune....

That fixed it.  The throttle response and mid-range power are back.  I guess the previous download had become corrupted when I ran the bike's voltage so low, and the ECU went into some sort of default mode.

I had made an appointment with ATD a few days earlier, and he jumped right on it as soon as I arrived Saturday morning.  Super-nice and very helpful folks.

macgart

I'm glad to hear that it was a simple fix.  I was just searching the forum with a similar problem with my bike.  I don't have a TOR pipe (Stock pipe) but for me there is little mid-range power.  All my power seems to be at 6k and up.  5th and 6th gear roll-on is very poor and my bike won't pull 6th above about 8k rpm.  

I plan to have the updated software loaded into my '99 to see if it helps.  I hate to spend a ton on diagnostics before giving it a try.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/