News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Crash bungs or crash bars

Started by mwrmoore, January 20, 2012, 11:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwrmoore

Can't decide which to go for. I like the look of bars, but money is tight, so bungs? But is there any point in just these? i'm looking in respect to the inevitable 'whoops i've dropped it while pushing it around'rather than the hopefully avoidable 'damn he is actually pulling out...' scenario

Chris Canning

I reckon there are 3 dead certs in life,death/taxs/falling off a Tiger.

All crash bungs will do is knacker the frame up,and when it comes to crash bars you want Touratech,I didn't realise how much homework TT and done till I dropped mine,they are designed to keep the bars off the floor.

Chris Canning

There you go,with a make shift gear leaver and foot peg,as you can see the bars are in a half moon so there's nothing to catch as you sliding down the road :oops: ,unlike some that are bent forward like a snow scoop.

metalguru

+1 with you on that Chris, Hit a horse square on at 60mph and high sided the the Tigger into the road. If crash bungs had been fitted, the impact would have bent the frame and snapped off the lug on the cylinder head!
Ok it was a write off anyway but without the impact and with crash bars fitted, it would be a ride home, instead of on the back of a recovery truck.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Timbox2

+1 again, mine went backwards down the lane and landed on the touratechs, no damage to anything else significant. Some of Touratechs stuff seems overpriced nonsense, but these work, period.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "metalguru"+1 with you on that Chris, Hit a horse square on at 60mph and high sided the the Tigger into the road. If crash bungs had been fitted, the impact would have bent the frame and snapped off the lug on the cylinder head!
Ok it was a write off anyway but without the impact and with crash bars fitted, it would be a ride home, instead of on the back of a recovery truck.

When was that then? Recently?  Were you hurt? Did the horse  survive? What was the rider doing at the time?

I had a near miss with 2 horses ridden by two girls aged roughly 14 last spring. luckily I was not ragging it as it was a blind corner on a very narrow road. The girls were 2-abreast blocking the whole road immediately after the bend. Of course, even though the averting of an accident was all down to me it was clear from their comments that they had done nothing wrong and  I should not have been there interrupting their quiet country ride in the first place.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

metalguru

That was Sept 2010 and wrote off my 855 yellow Tigger, it took my right leg out of service for about a month due to the hi-side and me not letting go, my leg got stuck between bike and road. The horse thought it would go for a wander on its own at 04:30, luckily my witness was a rookie copper trying to chase the horse into the field it came from. The owners of the horse (travellers) were told if I didn't get paid out, that a 2 day BBQ was going to happen! Had a construction in mind with scaffold poles and gas rings, but just to spoil my fun I got paid in full, but the travellers don't know that yet......hehehehe.
Trouble with our crazy law is horses have the right of way as they were here before bikes.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.