News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel leak with new fittings...

Started by EvilBetty, February 26, 2009, 06:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruincounselor

You guys have inspired me to make the upgrade to metal. I figure my 10 year old fittings are a time bomb. The actual part numbers and a link to a supplier should be put in the cross reference page. In the interest of accuracy - can anyone who's successfully done the change post?

Riding the storm out :cry:
Bruin\'

EvilBetty

I got this email from QuickCouplings before they offered to send me out the new fitting... FYI - The TeamTriumph parts do come with Viton rings, at a $25 premium (along with clamps and instructions I believe as well.)

QuoteThere are basically only 2 options you have:

1) For fuel line the best seal to have in the couplings is Viton. The part numbers would be LCD10004BSPTV ($11.00 each) & LCD23006V ($11.65 each). Unfortunately, these fittings are "made to order" which means that they are 100 piece minimum per line item OR have a $55.00 set up fee charge per line item for under 100 pieces being ordered. Also, the lead time runs about 4 – 5 weeks plus shipping to manufacturer them.

2) You can keep using the standard fittings and need to change them frequently do to the seals breaking because of the fuel eating away at them.

A lot of our customers go with the number 2 option because they don't want to pay the set up fee charges but honestly I would go with option 1 and buy a few extra of each to have for the future. If I was going to pay a set up fee I would get the most out of it by buying extras, so you won't have to go over this again! If you keep ordering the standard fittings, over time you will end up spending around that amount probably anyhow. Just a thought but it is your call.

I hope this info helps you!

Everything I have read says the BUNA-N rings are only a little more susceptible to fuel than Viton, but if they are making these statements of their parts...  like he says, it's your call.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

walker

the team  triumph ones came with one clamp, you reuse one (just a clarification)

They have you reuse the one on the return line.

jays58

Quote from: "Bruincounselor"You guys have inspired me to make the upgrade to metal. I figure my 10 year old fittings are a time bomb. The actual part numbers and a link to a supplier should be put in the cross reference page. In the interest of accuracy - can anyone who's successfully done the change post?

Riding the storm out :cry:

Bruin;  I ordered the Team Triumph kit and had minimal issues swapping them out on my '02 this past weekend.  At some point in its' history my bike had the recall done, so the male fittings were metal, but had no check valve.  I just used my needle nosed vice grip to clamp the fuel line and installed the male side before even removing the tank.  My tank was about 3/4 full when I did this, (poor planning  :( ), but I laid the tank on its' side on a soft blanket.  The plastic females backed out easily with a  19 mm socket, no crumbling, just a minimal bit of residue in the threads that I picked out with an awl.  I followed Team Triumph's instruction sheet carefully about not overtightening and everything sealed up great.   No leaks!   :D

My only issue was that some part of the kit was back ordered and I only found that out when I called TT when my package didn't come in a timely manner.  The gal I spoke to said it would go out the next Monday and it came in as expected.  Also, my kit only contained 1 new screw type clamp and the instructions indicate that you are to reuse one of the snap together originals.  I couldn't get it to reclose, so picked up a package of fuel injection hose clamps and put screw type clamps on both lines.  

As pointed out in other posts: use caution when you take apart the slides on the female side!  Make sure you practice with the new ones, in a plastic bag or box to get the feel for it.  I did shoot one of the new pins into the dark recesses of my garage and ended up reusing one from the old fitting when I couldn't find it :oops:   Take your time and read the instructions carefully before starting.  Good luck!
\'02 Tiger 955i
\'01 Sherco 2.0
\'74 Yamaha TY250

EvilBetty

Success!  The new fitting they sent out did the trick!  No leak!

After that guys email about the BUNA-N rings deteriorating, I researched it some more.  The only thing I can find that tears up these rings quickly is Ethanol.  And seeing as though the fuel I'll be putting in the bike has 10% or less I can't see this being a problem.

rjvolt

I'm having a similar problem, the bottom fitting is leaking. Can someone post links to where I can buy new fittings.
2004 SV650 (Yellow)
2004 Tiger (Orange)

rjvolt

Found the link. I just discovered the cross-reference thread!
2004 SV650 (Yellow)
2004 Tiger (Orange)

matttys

Take off the teflon tape on the metal fittings and use Hylomar.  I had all sorts of issues and the Hylomar cured all my issues.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

kpmunt

Was changing the seal behind the drive sprocket this weekend and notice that I am having the same problem.

Are the O rings available from an automotive source and if so what size are they?

I'm thinking I want to try this prior to spending $ on the new fittings unless you guys can convince me otherwise.

EvilBetty

Well... I thought.

Slowly I began smelling a leak that got progressively worse.

Today I tore down the bike again.  I was going to replace the fuel lines and reset the female fuel fittings.  I pulled and measured the fuel lines and headed up to the auto parts store.  It wasn't until I spend $16 bucks in new lines did I get home and realize they were not the same size exactly.  They fit the fittings but didn't fit the factory hose clamps.   :x

I really wanted to reuse these nice clamps so I inspected the current hoses and could find nothing wrong with them.  I went ahead and cleaned and refit the fittings with Teflon tape against my better judgment.  When I reinstalled them I turned them one more half turn each.

It seems to have done the trick.  I put 100 miles on it and didn't smell a single hint of fuel.  Time will tell I guess.

matttys

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I really wanted to reuse these nice clamps so I inspected the current hoses and could find nothing wrong with them.  I went ahead and cleaned and refit the fittings with Teflon tape against my better judgment.  When I reinstalled them I turned them one more half turn each.

I actually put mine on very tight and haven't seen a problem (and used Hylomar).  I think that the pipe thread is causing people to still keep them too loose.

EvilBetty

I wanted to use Hylomar, but $29 bucks for a couple litte dabs didn't make sense.

The only reason I used Teflon tape was because I didn't want to wait 2 days for a sealant to cure.  I needed my bike and garage floor back.  And I was sure it was going to leak again and I figured Teflon tape would be easier to clean off than more threebond.

matttys

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I wanted to use Hylomar, but $29 bucks for a couple litte dabs didn't make sense.

I understand that one. I work for an industrial distributor and have a whole lot of chemicals/resources at my disposal so I paid a little less for it.

SERadtke

Quote from: "matttys"
Quote from: "EvilBetty"I wanted to use Hylomar, but $29 bucks for a couple litte dabs didn't make sense.

I understand that one. I work for an industrial distributor and have a whole lot of chemicals/resources at my disposal so I paid a little less for it.

Don't you mean "paid"   or   "a little less"    :lol:  :lol:
Shawn
<((()))><

Stupid people are PROOF that evolution is a hoax!

rjvolt

I had to order a plastic female fitting since TT may not have them metal ones in time for the rally. I still have the metal ones on order. They were kind enough to send me the metal male fittings since they had those in stock and didn't charge me for those :D, not yet anyway.

I installed the new plastic female fitting and this seem to stop the constant leaking. But now when I try to start the bike the pressure is causing the fitting to leak. Next thing to try is replacing the plastic male fittings with the metal one. Hopefully this will resolve the issue with the leak until I get the metal female fittings.
2004 SV650 (Yellow)
2004 Tiger (Orange)