News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

K&N Oil Filter and stuff

Started by Cos, March 10, 2009, 07:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cos

Quote from: "JetdocX"
Quote from: "PeteH"
Quote from: "Cos"How the hell do i take off the old one?

If its a standard oil filter whack a screwdriver through it, just make sure your drip tray is suitably placed :wink:

The thought of Cos holding a screwdriver and a hammer..... :shock:

You really don't want to go there, Cos.

I was thinking the same thing.  :lol:

Trust me folks, if i take a screwdriver and hammer to my filter, one of two things will happen:
a) I'll poke an eye out

b) I'll put that sucker right through the sump and it'll end up somewhere in the tank.  :lol:

I'm pretty sure i can get my hands on an automotive filter wrench type thing.

Cos

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"Tank off, that reveals the airbox, unscrew the screws on the cover, take old filter out, aim at bin, oil up and put the new one in.

Igol oil should be ok provided it's up to spec. JASO marked? If not then it's car oil, you use it at your own risk.

Friction modifiers aren't recommended with a wet clutch, having said that I use a car oil.

These are MC specific. I've been looking around for my trusty Rotella but i haven't found any.

abruzzi

Quote from: "Cos"
Quote from: "abruzzi"I prefer the Purolator Pure one.

Geof

I have no clue if those are available in Cyprus.

If you find them they are good.  There was a MC site that cut open a bunch, and found the pure one had the largest filtration surface area.  The KN and a bunch of others were identical internally, i.e. made in the same factory, and brand labels added at the end.

Geof

abruzzi

cbxtc6

I use a large channel-lock pliers to remove the old oil filter - works fine.

John Stenhouse

Quote from: "Cos"These are MC specific. I've been looking around for my trusty Rotella but i haven't found any.

Rotella seems to be a US only designation, here in the UK they call it Helix. No help I'm afraid.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Cos

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"
Quote from: "Cos"These are MC specific. I've been looking around for my trusty Rotella but i haven't found any.

Rotella seems to be a US only designation, here in the UK they call it Helix. No help I'm afraid.

Hmmmm...i wonder if the Diesel Helix Ultra is the same as the Rotella T.

Iiiiiiiinteresting.

iansoady

I believe Rotella was recommended for Wankel engines eg NSU and Norton - it is apparently available in the UK so would expect in Greece as well.  http://www.lister.co.uk/lubricants/autotrans.pdf
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Cos

Here's another question.

I think i saw somewhere that Triumph does not recommend putting anything like a 50 oil in the Tiger. However, i remember distinctly that the Triumph badged Mobil-1 was 15w-50. What is up with that yo?

Oh, and another...what's the difference between ester-synthetic and synthetic?

JetdocX

Quote from: "Cos"Here's another question.

I think i saw somewhere that Triumph does not recommend putting anything like a 50 oil in the Tiger. However, i remember distinctly that the Triumph badged Mobil-1 was 15w-50. What is up with that yo?

Almost any multi-grade MC oil you choose will be OK.  Don't worry about it.
From parts unknown.

Cos

Quote from: "JetdocX"
Quote from: "Cos"Here's another question.

Almost any multi-grade MC oil you choose will be OK.  Don't worry about it.

You should know by now that given my propensity for destroying shit, i'm worried about everything.  :lol:

I just wish they'd get that freakin container opened. So close, yet so far away  :BangHead

JetdocX

Oil ain't all that hard.  Twist cap off, open oil filler on bike, pour oil in, smile!

Just keep it out of the radiator and the tires and everything is chilly!
From parts unknown.

Cos

I know man.

I'm just trying to stop myself from driving down to the port and busting my Tiger out by asking stupid questions.  :lol: