News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Removing forks

Started by Scrybe, March 02, 2009, 11:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrybe

I came off a few weeks back and the front wheel is out of alignment slightly due to slightly bent forks. I'm in the process of trying to remove them but have run into a small problem.

I've displaced the front calipers, removed the front wheel, and removed the front mudguard and fairing. I then loosened all 8 yoke clamp bolts (2 top, 2 bottom on each fork) but the forks won't budge. I then completely removed all 8 bolts and sprayed the areas where the forks meet the clamps with WD-40, but they still won't budge. I have tried levering the clamps open slightly with a screwdriver, but don't want to push too much and damage the yokes.

Any suggestions?

outrunner

It is possible that the top and bottom yokes are out of alignment due to the forces that bent the forks, try slackening the head bearing nuts.

Failing that, as you will be replacing the fork tubes anyway get a large hammer and drift the tubes out!  :D

Andy.
Every day above ground is a good day!

Scrybe

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Cleaverid

Maybe a small strap to twist them in the triple clamps?  Let us know how you make out.
Always look downstream