News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

More Tiger Wisdom... What NOT To Do...

Started by Stretch, March 20, 2009, 11:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

This thread is intended for folks to pass on little jewels of wisdom to others about what NOT to do when wrenching and modifying their Tigers.

Don't be bashful... we've all dropped nuts into intakes, poured three liters of expensive synthetic oil into an engine with no drain plug, and ridden across town after a tire change to discover the axle only hand-tight.

Here's one at Bixxer Bob's suggestion, regarding stuck throttles...

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5792

HappyMan

Mmmmmmmm.  Nice post Stretch.  :eusa_clap

Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Bixxer Bob

Nice when an idea catches on!!!!  :wink:

Tiger Trax posted a message for Steamer owners on the same throttle-jamming subject further down the same post.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

noivson

I'll be your Huckelberry...

While adjusting shift lever, (new boots) might as well adjust the brake too,  while things are at hand. Loosen the mounting plate for the brake assembly to alter the linkage. Can't quite reach and work the jam nut. No problemo, just a few more turns and the screw is out. Second one Dooht! Do Not Remove while the bike is on the center stand.....
Ride More-Worry Less! \'05 Lucifer Orange \'S\'

Bixxer Bob

And here's another...

Those that spanner for a living know to remove rings, watches etc before they start.  Those that don't should consider it a good idea - at best it'll stop you scratching your precious paint at some point, at worst it'll save you from an accident.

Where it gets tricky is where "you're only going to do this five-minute job" and don't bother.

Today I discovered how a long screwdriver, lack of attention, lack of preparation (ie not removing my metal strap watch) led to a heart-stopping display of sparks when I was disconnecting my battery.  It could have been worse, for example if there'd been fuel or solvents around, but I DO know better.  It shouldn't have happened.  :oops:

No matter how small the job, take the time to think it through and be safe folks  :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Woodz

Quote from: "Stretch"This thread is intended for folks to pass on little jewels of wisdom to others about what NOT to do when wrenching and modifying their Tigers.

Don't be bashful... we've all dropped nuts into intakes, poured three liters of expensive synthetic oil into an engine with no drain plug, and ridden across town after a tire change to discover the axle only hand-tight.

Here's one at Bixxer Bob's suggestion, regarding stuck throttles...

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5792

May i just add that this happened to me as well,Scottoiler T piece jammed the throttle wide open and i came off in a big way at about 70mph resulting in 2 months off work and brown pants!

I urge everyone to check the T piece is tied out of the way,  :shock:

Bixxer Bob

Wrote to Scottoiler last night and got a very nice reply from them today.  To cut the long short,  they'll add a safety note to their fitting instructions to raise wareness of this potential problem.  Nice folks taking the time to listen!!  

Stretch

Great!  Lives may be lengthened.

Woodz

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Wrote to Scottoiler last night and got a very nice reply from them today.  To cut the long short,  they'll add a safety note to their fitting instructions to raise wareness of this potential problem.  Nice folks taking the time to listen!!  

Brilliant  :D

mnormand

Did my Suz DR650 two days ago, 1st time at bleeding brakes, no issues. Started with Actron vacuum kit, too much trouble trying to seal off all the air leaks,  just went with tube, jar manual process.  Well that wasn't so bad.  Test drive, works great, and better than before.

Tonight lets do the tiger.  Front no problem, even tho I forgot to do the other side ! LOL  (my first bike with dual fronts).
Move to back, where I removed the caliper from the swingarm lately awaiting new pads, should arrive tomorrow.  Proceed to bleed brakes, can't get any resistance when pumping peddle.   :shock:  Hour later *&^%$# try again tomorrow.  

Just stupidly realized minutes ago since the pistons were unrestricted, thats why I couldn't get any pressure.   :oops:

Hope this saves someone some trouble. I'll knock it out quickly tomorrow!   :D
2007 Yamaha FZ6
2008 Yamaha WR250R

zombie

And DO NOT forget to pump the front brakes after bleeding them so you don't roll out of your shop backwards with no brakes and proceed to run into a tree :oops:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "zombie"so you don't roll out of your shop backwards with no brakes and proceed to run into a tree :oops:

:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser don't suppose you had the video camera rolling  :oops:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

scfrank

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"And here's another...

Those that spanner for a living know to remove rings, watches etc before they start.  Those that don't should consider it a good idea - at best it'll stop you scratching your precious paint at some point, at worst it'll save you from an accident.

Where it gets tricky is where "you're only going to do this five-minute job" and don't bother.

Today I discovered how a long screwdriver, lack of attention, lack of preparation (ie not removing my metal strap watch) led to a heart-stopping display of sparks when I was disconnecting my battery.  It could have been worse, for example if there'd been fuel or solvents around, but I DO know better.  It shouldn't have happened.  :oops:

No matter how small the job, take the time to think it through and be safe folks  :wink:

I second that. I had a friend that worked on his corvette, and welded his wedding ring to the chassis. His finger was in it. Not pretty.

REGULATOR

before you use any rag to wipe dust off your bike check it out.

I had a bucket of microfiber rags for wiping dust off the bikes,  had my Sprint for sale and wanted it to look pristine since I had just waxed it a few days prior,  reached into the bucket and grabbed a "clean" microfiber dust rag, and lightly wipped the surface of the tank,  

my clean rag had a metal shaving that had imbedded itself,  so it was razor sharp and left a nice big scratch on my shiny tank..sonafa

Ive also learned to wrap a rag around wrenches when working near body work.  ( always best to remove the body work or pad it though)

Ive slipped and gouged plastic panels before..

tazshido

Not sure about Triumphs (haven't taken possession of mine yet) but on my Virago I had to take the side case off to get to the starter gears. I would pull the (very soft) steel screws out and put them in a magnetic tool tray. It wasn't until I was getting ready to put the case back on that I realized the 16 screws were in 9 different lengths and each had to be put back in pretty much the exact hole it came out of. A 30 minute reassembly turned into a 3 hour puzzle.
Now I make a template out of cardboard and punch holes corisponding to the screw holes so they always go back in where they came out of.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis