News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lower back support

Started by RT, April 05, 2009, 09:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT

Anyone using one the back support belts when riding????

Been having some problems with my lower back the past month.   Dr asked me (told me) to take a week from riding and rest my back.   Cause is not from riding but it seems to aggravate it when it gets to bothering me.    Been about to go crazy in particular with the weather being so nice this weekend and not being able to ride.
Usually yoga (stretching) and a trip to the chiropractor will relieve any issues but not this time.

Think of trying something like this for extra support when riding.

http://www.koolbak.com/MotorcycleBelt/Kidney_Belt.html

To see if it helps.   Anyone using something similar, if yes does it help?
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

Tom Herold

I went down to Northern Tool and picked up a lower back support belt for $20 and use it on my longer rides. It's the kind that folks use when they're bending and lifting for a living. I just wear it under my gear.

There's no doubt about it, getting old sucks.

Getting old and still trying to enjoy the activites of my youth takes a bit of preplanning and sometimes extra gear.  

How does that saying go? If I'd known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself? I agree! 21 years of jumping out of airplanes and carrying a ruck sack thinking I was Superman! I'm just glad I lived long enough to draw my military retirement for a while!

I've found the better I support my lower back, the longer I can stay in the saddle without pain or stiffness.

I say go for it!
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

TigerTrax

Find a fat girl to sit behind you....
her belly will fit right in the small of your back and
give you great support.

Quite frankly ... do some good abdominal, stomach, lower torso exercises
to strengthen those abdominal muscles. It will help.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

RT

Trax, will try part B.       Doing Yoga to strengthen and stretch the muscles.  Major improvement overall by doing that, just tweaked the back a few weeks ago and has been slow to heal.

armadillo76

http://www.backaline.com/
I've used others (the stretching dirt bike or Gold branded type) but the backaline works really well. When I've had problems I've even worn it while working (usually under a shirt) and it has helped the back problems even then.
Of course strengthening your back and stomach muscles is best and not carrying around any extra weight is great too (as I look at the extra 15 lbs that have accumulated since October:-(
Good luck! AndyB, NH.

Bruincounselor

I do on long rides. I've noticed it makes a 1000 mile day pleasant. I think it helps by reminding me of my posture as much as providing actual support.

It's pretty cheap to try, you probobly know someone who has one they'll loan you.
Bruin\'

KuzzinKenny

a set of handlebar risers might also help, you might be sittin on the bike leanin forward, have a look at this for some tips.....

http://midliferider.com/blog/2008/02/17 ... ster-yoda/

you are not alone with the bad back !! and i`m a pain in the neck, i mean i`ve also got a pain in the neck  :lol:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

TigerTrax

If you look at risers...
there are 2 basic styles...
1. Straight up

2. 45° Angle ( You will probably want those )

Sorry I can't be of more help... I sell ergonomic office seating
that addresses back, shoulder, neck pain..... might look weird in a Tiger!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

RT

Yep added Rox risers to the bike about 6 weeks ago.  Did help riding position.