News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

12k Service - at last!

Started by Bixxer Bob, April 06, 2009, 10:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Finally completed the 12k service after having to do it in small tasks owing to health below par.

Engine oil and filter changed - fully synth
Air filter and plugs only done 4k and good to go
Coolant changed without any burping dramas
Valve shims all ok and, judging by clearances, should be ok after 24k too.
Throttle bodies balanced; probably the most noticeable improvement of all
Pads, chain, wear strip, sprockets etc all ok
Calipers all removed, cleaned rebuilt and new brake fluid added.

All in all,  not too big a job after all, and have saved myself around £350 by doing it myself.

Took her out for a shake down this afternoon - grin factor 9  :P
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

TigerTrax

Air cleaner is good for 24,000 miles....
unless you live on a volcanic ash pile or near a 'windy desert'.

Go over the throttle body adj again.
My '06 is 'dismantled' and that's one of my tasks...

I am hoping that adjusting the throttle cable will be all I need...
but was planning to check this out anyway.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Go over the throttle body adj again.
My '06 is 'dismantled' and that's one of my tasks...

Sorry, I don't understand.... are you saying you have to do yours again?

UK / USA - two countries seperated by a common language.... :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

TigerTrax

No...
Just wanted to know your steps in balancing Throttle Bodies.

I'm thinking it should be relatively easy..... but sometimes the easy is the bitch!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Bixxer Bob

If you have a Carbtune or similar, it's really easy!!

See here:

http://www.carbtune.com/

Remove indicators, seats, black side panels, battery, battery box, tank and airbox.  There are other links around here telling you how to get this far.  Remove the idle air hoses from the three throttle bodies (I wish I'd taken some photos now...).  Connect up the Carbtune.  Put the tank on a table adjacent to the bike on the right side - that way you can connect the fuel pump electrics and fuel pipe.  When you've done that stand the battery in the void in the frame and reconnect the terminals.  Start her up - she'll need a bit of throttle as the idle air supply has been replaced by the Carbtune pipes.  Set the idle at about 1500 rpm - I used a washer under the throttle stop but it seems others use a bit of rubber between the twist grip and the switch gear to make some friction.  Adjust the middle body so it lines up with the left one on the gauge, then adjust the right to the middle then repeat until all three line up.  Blip throttle a couple of times, let her settle and then do again if reqd.  When you're happy, put her back together.  Most noticeable difference is smoother tickover and cleaner pickup on the throttle.  :wink:

Others will be along with their wisdom .....

Oh,  and be very careful with the battery,  you don't want any sparks near that open fuel pipe  :shock: