News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1995 Tiger?????

Started by bigjca4, June 09, 2004, 02:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjca4

A guy contacted with about a trade for his 1995 tiger with the 855 engine.  Does someone have a pci of one of these so I can see what it looks like.  He is going to send me pic's also.  He says the bike has 24,000 miles which averages out to 2600 miles a year.  Is there anything about this year that I should look out for.  I know some of these bikes have had minor recalls so I'll make sure he has them all done.  He says he's got a bunch of accessories for it also.

Thanks for the help.

elemint

I have a 95 and love it. This model is far cooler looking than the post 1998 models. There are a couple things that can be a pain in the butt if you are not clued in though. 1. NEVER try to start the bike with a low battery! You will where out the sprag starter clutch gear and that will require the entire engine to be removed  and taken apart to replace. Just finished this fun project las month.... 2. Carbs.  Get an inline fuel filter and if you do not ride a lot like me, ie. not for weeks at a time, then turn off the fuel valve and run the carbs dry before parking. Otherwise you will be taking apart the carbs and cleaning the jets all the time. Seems that this may be due to strange fuel formulations in some areas of the usa. If you want to improve the handling, some people preload the front forks to make them stiffer... Stock T66 tires are lame... Hard to find a good bigger windscreen...  So if start up the bike and it makes strange noise from what seems like a bad starter, then expect to pay at least $1200 for repairs or about $300 for parts. It is an amazing bike! I will never buy a newer Tiger unless the go back the pre 99 look!

sycamoredave

I have a 96 with about 24K on it.  I agree with the cool looks factor, and feel that in some ways the bike is built a bit more rugged than the newer ones.  Fork dive is an issue that can be fixed fairly easily.  There is a definate lack of available ascessories out there, especially when it comes to wind screens.  I would second the caution flag on the sprag clutch issue, and would add concerns about the transmission, and the electrical system.  My Tiger suffered the dreaded sprag clutch failure, and while we were in there, I replaced the starter.  All of this requires removal of the engine from the bike, hence big labor bucks.  While we had the engine out, we checked the tranny, and found a couple of worn gears.  The electrical system was found to be delivering uneven spark to the plugs, making it seem like the carbs were a problem.  If you buy a '95 that has not had the sprag clutch, starter, tranny, and electrical system gone through, be sure to pay a VERY conservative price.   A couple thousand $ repair bill is not out of the question.  Once you are done, you should have a great bike for a fraction of the new Tiger cost.

Ride safe

...  8)

Dave Ewart

Mount Vernon, OH

'96 Tiger

'00 Yamaha MM

'81 Suzi GS 750EX
Dave Ewart

Mount Vernon, OH

\'96 Tiger

\'94 Honda PC800

\'81 Suzi GS750EX

bigjca4

Can forward pegs be attached to the bars that cover the muffler in front of the engine?

sycamoredave

Quote from: "bigjca4"Can forward pegs be attached to the bars that cover the muffler in front of the engine?

I have Thunderbike engine guards on my bike, and forward pegs can easily be attached to them.  I would think that even without engine guards, a set of pegs could be attached without much trouble.

Ride safe ...  8)  8)

Dave
Dave Ewart

Mount Vernon, OH

\'96 Tiger

\'94 Honda PC800

\'81 Suzi GS750EX

elemint

I replaced the starter. All of this requires removal of the engine from the bike. What? Replacing the starter does not require engine removal, carb sure, but not removing the whole engine!

RedMenace

Quote from: "elemint"I replaced the starter. All of this requires removal of the engine from the bike. What? Replacing the starter does not require engine removal, carb sure, but not removing the whole engine!

Replacing the starter sprag clutch, does, on most of the steamers, require removing the engine and splitting the cases. :cry:
The Red Menace