News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sprint to Tiger parts swapping

Started by DesertDog, February 14, 2009, 07:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertDog

For the guys with all the Triumph knowledge.   I have found an 18K 1997 Sprint that has a sneezed crank bearing that I could pick up cheap and was wondering what I can take from it as spare parts for my same year Tiger.

possible swap parts -
calipers and rotors
carbs
motor parts - head, starter, alt, coils ect.
dash
that about it?

I am assuming suspension, all body parts, wheels are a no go.

The Sprint motors are rated a few more horse than the Tiger, is it cams or compression?

thanks in advance

JetdocX

Opening the shop manual right now.....for 885cc engines.

Compression ratio is identical at 10.6:1

Valve lift and durations are very different.  Look to see if the cams are red instead of green like the Tigers.

Transmission ratios identical.

Max ignition advance is 26 vs 29 degrees for the Tiger.

Rev limit 9700 vs. 8750.

Sounds like a Speed Trip or Daytona motor you got there!  Good find!

If you don't want the cams and ignitor, I am interested, as well as Mustang and Abruzzi.
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

To answer your other question, I think most of the motor parts are identical.  Coils and alternators are the same as are the carbs.  Cyl heads definitely identical.

All the brake parts including master cyls are probably swappable with the exception of the front rotors.  The brakes went to the Daytona 1200 type brakes after vin# 9083, so the above may not be true regarding the brakes.*

*Edit:  1200 Daytona has four piston calipers.  I wonder if you could swap your for the four piston beauties!  Might be worth investigating.  The brakes on my Tiger suck!
From parts unknown.

DesertDog

Awesome!!  :D   thanks

I will keep the post updated once I get a good look at her.

DesertDog

Well, it did not work out for the best.  Bike had lots of possibilities and I probably should of bought it  but passed.   Too many missing parts and too many questions the guy had no answers to.  Would be a great parts mess but I don't have the room for it where I am right now.  

Probably kick myself in the future for passing on it.  The next time I have to go to the stealer will probably cost more then the Sprint would, but that is the way the cards fell on this deal.  Hope I never need a cylinder head.

side note - pulled the valve cover and it had green cams in it.  I'm sure the white 200mph speedo and 13k tach would of looked good in the Tiger dash.    8)

Patrick

AFAIK the frame of the T400 is identical to the T300's frame. So all of the body parts should be interchangeable...

Gruß

Patrick

Mustang

All of the earlier triumphs were Modular . so all they had to do was change the wheels and suspension parts along with new bodywork and you have a different model ,
Tridents trophys sprint and tigers were all basically the same

Hack'dTiger

I'm not sure if it's from a Sprint, or a Daytona, but I've got a mag wheel on the back of mine. It was installed to help fight the spoke shredding forces applied by the sidecar.

It's good in that regard, but bad in that I can't get a good DS tire for that size rim. I'll see if I can find a pic, and maybe someone can identify it.

I've also got the oem spoker with a knobby pre-loaded, so I can swap back and forth pretty easily.