News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

OT Tigers must like airplanes! They're both fast!

Started by Speed3guy, February 27, 2009, 01:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khakitiger

This is me and another Tiger - a Tiger Moth. I got a couple hours instruction in it near Gore, South Island, New Zealand. I have a Piper Cherokee here as well, but would ditch it in a heartbeat for a warm day over the fragrant fields of NZ.

aeronca

WOW,great plane. thanks for reviving this thread. theres a moth at harvey field  in snohomish, wa (8 miles over from me) ,as well as a bevey of other aircraft i would love to fly, but the moth was soooo         -       simple, much like like the champ. your a lucky guy to have flown one. there's a guy at the monroe airport(first air) just a mile from my house, that has 2 pilatus porters, 2 gruman widgions, a helio courier, a couple o cubs, and a lockheed electra. I HATE THIS GUY. he's a total ass, but has some cool planes. i wish to  hell i could get some porter time. in my opinion - the greatest airplane ever. but the moth would be the bomb.    right on brother :D .      eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

khakitiger

Eric - I haven't met that guy yet, but I already hate him too! A Goose or Widgeon is still at the top of my lottery-win dream list.

If you ever find yourself in New Zealand, it is worth a drive (or ride!) way down to the South part of the South Island just to hang out at the Croydon Aircraft Company. http://www.croydonaircraft.com/

You can get training on not only the Tiger Moth, but a Fox Moth, a Dragonfly and even a Dominie/Rapide. I've heard that a lot of NZ airline pilots get their type rating on the Dominie as a point of pride in their log books.

New Zealand is probably the best place on earth for these planes too - mostly because it is a mellow and happy culture there; unlike people in North America who move in next to an airport and then complain about the noise, their neighbours love the old aircraft have actually asked them to 'buzz' their house whenever they are out in the garden... We made a pass low enough to smell their garden, and they waved at us with all of their fingers!

oxnsox

Of  Older Aircraft and NZ.....    Most memorable flight I had was in a DC-3 topdressing out of Gisborne, sitting in the right hand seat.  I even found a picture link:

http://crash.ihug.co.nz/~av8or/GAPS/pictures/zk-bbj-1.jpg

Note: The Train in the picture actually crosses the runway!!  The Air Traffic controller operates signals and (I think) barrier arms that stop Trains from crossing the airfield when a plane is coming.

Not only was the low level flight following the landscape down a valley fantastic, but the takeoff went something like this:
Pilot advances throttles to start the TO run.  Reaches over and flicks a couple of switches (superchargers). Tail starts to fly (lifts off) and we can now see down the runway we are accelerating along.  As we takeoff Pilot  reaches for a Diary and starts looking up the address of the farm we are delivering the load to.....
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

aeronca

comming up in june, there's a supercub fly-in a few miles over from my house. it's a pretty good show, i'll post some pic's when i go. they have a pretty impressive STOL competition. also in july the arlington e.a.a. fly-in( third biggest fly-in in the country). all you guy's should try and make it out for it. it really is cool.  http://www.nweaa.org/

hey jetdocx, are you going to make it out????  i'll buy you some beers 8)
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!