News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Malfunction Indicator Lamp [MIL] = idiot light?

Started by nortwoods tiger, April 28, 2009, 01:46:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nortwoods tiger

When I put my 2000' Girl to bed last fall I noticed it didn't Idle as smooth as normal. It ran fine in higher rpm's. Now awake this spring with a fresh battery my MIL's light is on and the idle bounces around a bit. I turned it off right away then started it up, yep my little yellow friend was still there  :cry:
Maybe I'm crazy but I took it for a ride, about 15 miles, to see what was up.   Temp was normal, no crazy noise from the engine? It drove great except at idle? I know dumb right? I was thumbing through my Haynes manual and it says if there is a malfunction the system switches into "Limp mode" so you can limp it home. The problem I have is the closest dealer is 100 miles away with that wonderful Triumph diagnostic tool. Would it be advisable to "Limp" it there? I'm definitely no genius but I think it's the Idle air control valve which should not do any damage to the motor?  What say you, Girly guru's???
A full throttle Yeti

Bruincounselor

If the ECM isn't getting any fault code the idiot light goes off after 3 full heat/cool cycles. It takes quite a few more cycles for it to clear completely and only if it's gone. Idle control valve seems a likely culprit: does it backfire on overrun (faulty  ICV)? Does it start easily with no throttle openings at cold and warm temps (ICV may be ok)?

Looking at my Triumph manual there are a few tests you can do by measuring resistance and continuity between pins on both sides of the Idle air/ECM connection if you are electrically inclined. Resistance values between pins A to D and B to C on the motor should be 47-59 Ohms. Ping me and I'll get you the appropriate pages.

If it is the idle system you won't cause any damage riding it anywhere. It might be worth the 200 mile ride to visit with a dealer and have him plug in - that beats pulling the tank in my book.
Bruin\'

Bixxer Bob

I'm curious about the possible faulty ICV as I've not heard that mentioned before.  I have backfire on overrun and some surging which I've all but given up trying to cure.  I did the remap, the o2 sensor bypass and a Blueflame can and, although better, is still far from perfect.  I have an OBD2 reader and there are no fault codes so I'd appreciate a copy of the ICV checks also,  thanks.

I bought her with 4k on the clock, now has over 13k and has always done it....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nortwoods tiger

Quote from: "Bruincounselor"If the ECM isn't getting any fault code the idiot light goes off after 3 full heat/cool cycles. It takes quite a few more cycles for it to clear completely and only if it's gone. Idle control valve seems a likely culprit: does it backfire on overrun (faulty  ICV)? Does it start easily with no throttle openings at cold and warm temps (ICV may be ok)?

Looking at my Triumph manual there are a few tests you can do by measuring resistance and continuity between pins on both sides of the Idle air/ECM connection if you are electrically inclined. Resistance values between pins A to D and B to C on the motor should be 47-59 Ohms. Ping me and I'll get you the appropriate pages.

If it is the idle system you won't cause any damage riding it anywhere. It might be worth the 200 mile ride to visit with a dealer and have him plug in - that beats pulling the tank in my book.

I'm not much of an electric guy?

Yes it starts up fine runs good but there is some backfire when letting off the throttle and the rough idle. I've got a K&N filter and a TOR pipe with the fuel mapping done by the dealer with a dyno? Regardless if it doesn't reset I have a fault some where and I will need that TDT to find it and reset the light?

Could the throttle bodies be so out of sync that they play havoc with the Intake Air Pressure Sensor ? I'm most likely grabbing at straws here....

I have a good friend who lives near the dealer and could give me a lift back if it is something really bad.
A full throttle Yeti

2004Tiger

Are you using last year's gas? Did you let gas sit in the system all winter without running the engine? Old gas won't burn right and evaporated gas will deposit varnish in the injectors. You might drain your tank and try fresh gas.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Bruincounselor

If it starts fine I'm tempted to say that's not the problem. A bit of backfire on overrun is acceptabe with off road tune. How clean is your filter - did mice find it over the winter?

I think your best bet is a nice Saturday mornig ride to the dealer. Call ahead and make an appointment to read the codes.
Bruin\'

nortwoods tiger

Quote from: "2004Tiger"Are you using last year's gas? Did you let gas sit in the system all winter without running the engine? Old gas won't burn right and evaporated gas will deposit varnish in the injectors. You might drain your tank and try fresh gas.

Pretty sure it's not the fuel. The rough idle started in the early Fall and the the bike was put away with ample amounts of Stabil in the tank. I've run the bike a bit now and put new gas in.

Thanks Bruincounselor already made it for this Sat. at 10:30 a.m. Though the ride down to my buddies house on Friday after work may be on the bit uncomfortable side. 4O's and rain I've been through worse, my heated grips will be worth their weight in gold! :lol:
A full throttle Yeti