News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Coolant puking...

Started by flux, April 10, 2009, 05:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flux

My bike has started throwing coolant at me.... well... actually it was dripping to the front wheel which sports a TKC80... the knobs were catching coolant and throwing it back up all across my dash, windsreen, and helmet. Blech!

I tore everything apart (what a bitch) to get to the coolant reservoir to find that the cheap plastic 90 degree elbow fitting going to the coolant tank had broken.

I ended up ordering another stocker from Triumph USA. It was less than $1.50 but I had to wait a few days to get it.  Fitted it, put it all back together, figured problem solved.

But then I went for a ride last night only to find it's still leaking. I think the coolant reservoir cap that fits to the dash is somehow leaking, but not convinced of that yet.

I watched it very carefully as I limped it home... seems the collant level in the reservoir varies... it goes up over the max line (this is when the leak happens) and then will settle back down to the min line and then the process repeats.  

My temp gauge shows all is well.

Any ideas where to look next?

M.T.

I'm sure others will chime in here, but it sounds to me like the culprit is probably the radiator cap- it's not holding the correct amount of pressure and allowing to much coolant past and into the overflow tank- and from there to your dash!
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

flux

Quote from: "M.T."I'm sure others will chime in here, but it sounds to me like the culprit is probably the radiator cap- it's not holding the correct amount of pressure and allowing to much coolant past and into the overflow tank- and from there to your dash!

Thanks for the idea...

So, like, where IS the radiator cap on these bikes?   :oops:   All I can find is the reservoir cap!

Stretch

Left side, under the tank.  Tank has to come off to access it.

There's an auto-parts store cross-reference in the Cross-Reference Thread.

flux

Quote from: "Stretch"Left side, under the tank.  Tank has to come off to access it.

There's an auto-parts store cross-reference in the Cross-Reference Thread.

D'oh!  That's what I was afraid of.  Well, I guess it's as good a time as any to learn how to take that sucker off.  I have to admit it's a little intimidating for some reason.  

I've already noted the cross-ref thing, thanks for putting that together Stretch.   8)

flux

Okay guys, so I replaced the cap last week and I thought it had fixed the problem.  But I am still getting coolant weeping out the reservoir cap.  Not nearly as much as I was before but still, it is a hassle.  My temp gauge is right where it's always been, which is halfway between low and middle.  

Any other ideas, anyone?  It's getting aggravating.  

Could it be a busted thermostat?  How could I tell?  

Thanks gang.

TigerTrax

I'd say you have air in your system.
Try bleeding it again.

Depending on what year you are riding the bleed valve is either at the top next to the radiator cap or down low on the engine case near the water pump.

You have to get the motor up to operating temp so the thermostat opens and water circulates.

Personally.. I think it would be smart to rig up a fuel line so you can run the motor while the tank is off and take care of these issues B4 the tank is replaced.... that's my next project.

As for plasstic elbows... try a hardware store... I think you will find what you need at 1/5 the cost!

PS: This BS of putting the radiator cap under the tank is nothing short of a designers brain fart or low SAT score!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

KuzzinKenny

Hey Flux !! are you sure the new cap is the correct pressure ?? also remember NOT to fill the coolant to the MAX !! Tiggers prefer it to be half way between MIN and MAX !! above this and it will puk it out !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

flux

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions.

Yes, the new cap is a 16 psi cap which was recommended here.

I haven't refilled the coolant... it was last done 10,000 miles ago and it's still nice and clean.  

TT, I have never bled a coolant system...  Do you do it like bleeding brakes?  Would you mind giving me a rundown?  (Mine's an 02 BTW).  

Cheers guys, I hope I get this junk figured out soon.   8)

I should also add that the coolant level in the tank seems to change during riding... from the min level to the max level... kind of at random times... not sure if that's a sign of anything or not.  Also, I am now only losing a few drops of coolant ... I can watch it pool up on top of the reservoir for a second, then drip down... it hits my TKC80 which kicks it back up and all on my dash.   :evil:   Before I replaced the radiator cap, it was what I'd call a LOT and now it's a LITTLE... on a 700 mile ride this weekend I must have wiped it clean 6 or 7 times and before I couldn't stop wiping it clean just to limp home.  Is that any help at all?

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

TigerTrax

Bixxer has it pretty much down pat.  

Down the left side of the engine is a hose that goes into the water pump.
Remove your cap and let drain into a pan. ( I actually took a small funnel and inserted into the cap hole then with my air compressor applied a steady, slow pressure into the system and pushed alot of water thru and out). You could probably do the same from the overflow tank.

When I measured the amount I forced out it was a little better than 80% of capacity... actually I thought that was good... maybe you can get 100%.. but I've never done that!

BTW... at 27,534 miles... very clean/clear purple. I rode the bike and it burped some fluid... I have not given it a good long ride test yet...grrrr!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

The Kurgan

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I wrote how I did mine here:

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5890

Thanks for the write-up. Well done. I will be using that the next time I do my coolant.  8)
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

flux

Thanks guys, I will try that out.  

If anyone has any other ideas why it might still be puking let me know please.