News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Guidance on front brake pad replacement process

Started by jays58, May 07, 2009, 04:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jays58

I have new EBC brake pads in hand and began the process of replacement, following my Haines manual, (1st time I've ever tackled this job on any bike).  Obviously I need to push the pistons back a good bit to make room for the thickness of the new pads, but my question is just how difficult should that be?  I've unbolted the caliper and removed the old pads.  I've pushed the pistons firmly against the disc and have also tried a little prying with a long screwdriver, but haven't been able to get them to budge.  I know the manual says I may need to remove some brake fluid from the reservoir.  Is that likely what I need to do?  I'm a little concerned about the possibility that the pistons are seized up.   :? This bike has 33K on it, (I've only owned it for the last 6K).  How do I know if that is the problem?  I'm in a bit of a pinch, since I have a day ride planned for Friday, then Sunday leaving on a 1,500 mile round trip.  I hope I don't have complications, as getting into my local shop tomorrow will be a challenge.  Thanks for any input!  ---Jay
\'02 Tiger 955i
\'01 Sherco 2.0
\'74 Yamaha TY250

Stretch

Put one of the pads back in the caliper (to press against), and use plenty of rags etc to pad the caliper, and use a pair of ChannelLocks to gently squeeze the pair of pistons back into the caliper (by pressing on the old pad).  Repeat for the other caliper.

Kinda like this, but with a nice-looking two-piston bike caliper...

You'll want to put the pressure on the pistons with the old pad on top of them to make sure the pistons are square in their bores while you're pushing on them.  Any sideways pressure is a no-no.

jays58

I posted my problem at 11:00 PM last night, then went to bed.  When I checked in again at 5:30 AM, Stretch had posted the solution - with a picture, no less!  

I employed the recommended technique and the pistons sank back smoothly into their bores - fitted the new pads and torqued it all to spec.  All finished up by 6:45 AM - just in time to shower for the office.

Now I'm all set to head out for Chicago on Sunday AM.  (Now if it would just stop raining!)  

Thanks Stretch - you're awesome!   :D
\'02 Tiger 955i
\'01 Sherco 2.0
\'74 Yamaha TY250

Stretch

I stay up late reading and web-surfing.  Glad to help.  

Thanks, dude.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "Stretch"I stay up late reading and web-surfing.

I always figured you were either really busy at work or had lots of time on yer hands  :wink:
Bruin\'

Stretch

I'm at the firehall this evening, getting paid by the hour to read and surf the net.

Oh, and run fire and EMS calls.  :mrgreen: