News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Science and Philosophy of waving...

Started by EvilBetty, May 07, 2009, 07:47:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeFromMT

Quote from: "matttys"Thank you for noticing how awesome I really am  8)  BMWs really have all the fun. . .

What motorcycle?

All of those young ladies are the subjects of my fantasies, so why is it that I would ignore all of them except the blue chick who leaves me mesmerized?

Oh ya, the wave.  I wave at most riders and it doesn't matter what their riding, but it does matter where I see them.
In town interstates: no wave
Most everywhere else: the wave

If both hands are busy holding clutch/brake I offer "the chin"

If we're going the same direction I often give the "hang loose"

Opposite directions get a flip of the wrist

Another DS type rider gets the "Heil five"
Do I look like a man with a plan?

Wiggus

I wave to everyone I can, unless I'm clutching, then they get the nod. The guy that gave Evil Betty the finger is just a dick, and probably stupid too, momma didn't love him, yadda yadda yadda. Sometimes I even wave to bicycles. I look at it like solidarity against the cars, and to say we're looking out for each other. And really, I hardly never get the cold shoulder from Harley riders; more so from sportbikes.

But, then again, I've been riding a Shadow ACE for the last ten years. Maybe they just couldn't tell I wasn't one of them.  :P  I'll see how that changes on a Tiger.
You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...

TigerTrax

To WAVE or NOT To WAVE:
I wrote a small article on that several years ago..... died out on a crapped out hard drive!

But suffice it to say...I would bet that in 30% of the WAVE exchanges, one or both riders mutter themselves, "asshole"!

The 'Middle Digit' waver is more of a 'manly' wave......
In my mind it is intentional, directed to one person, and has an emotional connotation with lasting effect.

A 'low-hand-never-leaves-the-grip' wave is an insult.
It demonstrates the other rider has no respect for you and you are another piece of crap floating down to roadway.... certainly a hinderance
to his tasks at hand.

The insult wave:
A 'full 5' ........ as you pass another rider ..... especially if you have a passenger!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

blacktiger

Over here in Blighty we ride on the left side of the road so the hand nearest to the other rider is the throttle hand so we've developed a distinct nod of the head.
On the continent where they ride on the right (wrong) side of the road they stick out their left hand and give a "V" for victory wave. Also, when you've just overtaken someone you kick out your right leg to say "hello".
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

matttys

Quote from: "SERadtke"There HAS to be a story behind that picture, and I'm dieing to hear it!

We had a photo contest going on F650.com that had a monthly theme and had to include your F650.  This theme was Halloween . . . and I won that month  8)
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "matttys"BMWs really have all the fun. . .

Not quite young man - notice the logo on the portakabin door on the right of the picture :p

And I wasn't waving in case my hands ended up anywhere that would have gotten me in trouble  :oops:  :D
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

atokad

Max, uh, I mean Sin.  You kinda look like this guy.  http://www.jpcycles.com/Home/About

But then I guess if you were, you wouldn't be playing around in Thailand. Or would you?  :lol:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "atokad"Max, uh, I mean Sin.  You kinda look like this guy.  http://www.jpcycles.com/Home/About

But then I guess if you were, you wouldn't be playing around in Thailand. Or would you?  :lol:

Haven't gotten as far as Thailand, the photo was Singapore, guy looks a bit more like Col. Suanders than me  :P  I was doing my best to behave  :oops:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

atokad

Singapore - Thailand  :wave

They all look the same to me!  Would like to go someday...

He may look like Colonel Sanders and he problem has $$ like the Colonel too!

haulin' daze

Quote4) Is my fiancee on the back of my bike?

I say your fiancee is Pocahontas!  :love10

Anyone else?

matttys

I wish.  I liked her and Little White Riding Hood the best.  Unfortunately I was dating the boxer chick at the time.  She has a Ninja 500, so that made her much more attractive to me  8)
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

Colonel Nikolai

matttys, I want all the girls, not just the blue ones. Like bikes. Once you've ridden one, you want to ride them all. *slap* I deserve that. *slap* *slap* Okay! Okay! I'm sorry! I take it back!

The best wave I ever had was coming into of the Lyndale tunnel in the far left lane on I94 heading east to St. Paul on the first sunny Spring day in 2007. I was astride my resurrected my 96 Sprint: having recovered it from hitting a 200 lbs buck at 50 mph in 2006. A rider emerged in the sunlight heading in the opposite direction, same lane. He appeared to be mounted on a ZZR, the first hyperbike, now merely The Aging Prince of Speed, hunched over and fast, both of us riding our old flames, nearly abreast, we reach out our hands AT THE SAME MOMENT, only a few feet away from each other in a one-stroke wave. Magnificent! Then I plunge into the darkness of the tunnel. I think we were both so damn happy that Spring had come again and had just had the cracking-bark experience of startin' 'er up for the first time that season, all of us across the world on two wheels were just connected on another level or something.

I got the finger only once and it was from a Hardley rider in his twenties. He was bare-chested, so we have an instantly accurate brain/meat ratio reading beyond just the poseuring of owning a Hardley in the first place.

Folks, if you find out that I own a Hardley, unless it's some rare vintage model that can be excused, hire someone to come out and shoot me. Promise.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Sin_Tiger

Definately a memorable rare occasion that one 8)

TigerTrax is locked and loaded just in case  :violent1