News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Electrical questions? Found a odd Power Point?

Started by Jomama, May 18, 2009, 06:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jomama

So I wanted to put a volt meter in the spot on the left that typically holds the clock on a Steamer.  I was also hoping to find the right spot to tie a power point socket of some sort to run a GPS.  

Start looking at the bundles of wires underneath the instruments.  I notice (for the first time since I bought it 2years ago) that there is actually a 3 way plug there.  Like the end of one of these
 but its got 1 male connector, and 2 female connectors, not just 1 like on the pictured stye...

Any idea what this would be for?   :?: Heated clothing?
 I checked it with a multimeter and it did seem to be running a solid 12.5 v

Nextly, this plug is bundled together with 2 other wires.  1 red one that is apparently powering my aftermarket heated grips (P.O. installed all this stuff)...  There is a black wire too, not attached to anything, and it does not appear to be hot (boo, was hoping I could power the volt meter with this)...

Aside from the odd plugin style..  Would it be ok to "split" the red wire that is now powering the heated grips, so it also is connected to the Voltmeter?  It appears to be 16gage wire.  I don't use the grips all that much, a bit in the fall.  Or would that be too risky/unsafe to put the load of both on 1 wire?

Thanks.
1996 Tiger
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab Longbed SR5
**sold** /cry...  1993 FZJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser