News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Can't remove rear seat

Started by RT, May 15, 2009, 08:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RT

Ok now what do I do.  Can't get rear seat to release.  Don't want to twist key to hard for fear of damage.   Tried placing weight, my butt, on rear seat than turning key.  Will still not release.

Any suggestion??????
Whatever it is, it\'s better in the wind.  ~Author Unknown

RT

Got it.  Had to remove the side panel that covers the lock.  That was a trick. Than unbolt the lock and give the cable a couple of jerks and it released.  what a pita.   Will see if I can clean it up a bit to make it slide easier.

walker

press down on the rear seat - sometimes there is enough upward pressure that the catch won't release.... you'll get that on newly covered seats, or rear seats with extra foam around the edges.

Clean the catch side with some WD-40 or something, then wipe down - maybe a dab of grease when it's dry....

the bill mayer saddle will have thicker covering and do that.... press down with your hand / elbow, then turn the key. Bet it will release easy!

RT

Yeah think the upwards pressure was enough to cause it not to release as it took two solid tug's on wire to final get it to move.   Cleaned it with WD40 and will put some grease on it in morning.    May also rig up an extra wire as backup just in case it happens again.

TigerTrax

Often... if you hold the key in the release position and pop the seat directly above the latch... the rebound is enough to pop the seat loose.

Before you latch it down again... make certain there is not something that is preventing the seat from 'slipping into position' and causing you to force the seat to latch.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Tigger_rider

Hi  I always give mine a good smack with my fist at the rear edge as I turn the key. sometimes two... OLY

RT

After putting some grease on the release all seems to be good again.  Will have to make it a point to do this on a regular basis.