News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955 Fuel Filter Question

Started by gbcphoto, May 19, 2009, 03:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbcphoto

Just finished changing out the fuel filter with a BMW replacement filter and decided to change out all the fuel clamps (6) with heavier, screw adjusting type meant for external use on fuel lines. Anyone out there think this may be a problem in time regarding the metal used in them (coatings etc...) as opposed to the brass type fitting they come with. Just a thought , I may well be way to OCD, but she is my girl!

Thanks
GBC
2001 Gato Verde
1969 H1 500
2001 XR 650L
2000 XR 400
2006 KX 250F

Stretch

Nah, you'll be fine.  Just about all the worm-gear hose clamps I've ever seen have been made of stainless steel with a cadmium-plated screw.  Just about everything made of steel in a Tiger's fuel pump assembly is cadmium-plated (the gold color on all the steel parts and brackets).

I'm wishing now I'd have done the same when I changed my filter last year.  I've only heard of one instance of a hose slipping off due to a weak spring-clamp, allowing fuel to leak internally inside the tank and disrupting fuel flow to the injectors.  

The fuel system is regulated at about 43 psi, but I can't find the pump pressure listed anywhere.  The fuel pressure is probably a bit higher at the pump and in the line between the pump and regulator.  The spring-clamps work just fineb, but there's always that one-in-ten thousand occurrence where a hose slips off inside the tank, and the fuel system no longer flows.

Replacing the spring clamps with worm-gear clamps will eliminate that from ever happening.  Peace of mind is good, and I've never regretted overbuilding anything.

gbcphoto

Thanks for the speedy reply Stretch. I'm on the same page with you. Although there is no cadmium plating(gold colour) on any of the screw fastner's I've used, the likely hood of gasoline eating through metal is small. Next service will tell!

Cheers
2001 Gato Verde
1969 H1 500
2001 XR 650L
2000 XR 400
2006 KX 250F

Stretch

Yeah, but I meant the brackets and access cover itself, not the hardware.

Gold-colored cadmium plating everywhere, except the screws.  And those are black oxide finished.  It would take years of exposure to a near-empty tank with lots of water in the fuel to cook up enough condensation to seriously rust anything in there.

You'll be fine with the stainless and cadmium-plated steel worm-gear clamps.