News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Replacing the throttle cable

Started by Homeskillet, June 25, 2004, 05:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homeskillet

Quite an adventure...it broke on me out in the middle of nowhere! I managed to get her on a trailer and back home for repairs. The dealer had a cable in stock and I quickly learned how tight the Tiger is put together! My bike is a '98 and I suspect that the cable that broke was original.

Remove the tank. Remove the throttle assembly at the grip. Back the breather box off the carbs (I told you she was old) and remove the carbs so you can get your stubby fingers in there to fish out the broken off ball. Remove the old cable and cuss it for leaving you in the hot Texas sun where no trees dare to grow and even the snakes are roasting. Install the new cable at the carb end first, leaving plenty of slack for adjustment. Install the top end at the grip and check for range of motion. Lube with a bit of grease at both ends before making final adjustments, starting at the carb end and finishing up top. Put everything back on and enjoy a few cold beers. I expect this cable to last a long time.

I added a the following to the tool kit (and managed to get it all to fit in the space behind the seat) slotted and phillips screwdrivers, #8 and #10 sockets and angled driver with extension, # 8 and # 10 wrenches, a small pair of locking needle nose pliars and a half dozen heavy duty cable ties.

I hope that I never have to use any of those things on the side of the road, but it is best to be prepared!
I Would Hope To Tell Thee Thusly