News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

955i Regulator / Rectifier Replacement and Relocation

Started by Stretch, June 05, 2009, 10:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stopwatch

Thanks for the heads- up, Stretch. Concerning the RR heating issue, if I reach down and feel the wires coming from the RR to the connector where the Sasquatch mod begins... very hot. It seems almost too hot to keep your finger on while riding, but occaisionally will cool off a bit. It's definitely not radiant heat from the engine. Maybe these periods of hot and "not as hot" reflect the current the RR is sending to the battery? I would guess it's not the current from the stator as it is always at a constant rate and the current from the RR to the battery fluctuates depending on what the RR thinks the battery needs?  Does this sound right? I'm probably the only nut who's "felt up"  :oops:  his RR wires while riding! Maybe it's not the heat from load demands traveling thru to the battery, maybe it's heat build- up from the RR itself radiating down the wires? Do the wires from your new RR get very warm?

oxnsox

Stopwatch.
Heat is probably due to the charge going to the battery...  easy way to tell.  Battery will want most current after startup so RR should stay cooler but wiring to battery will get warmer. Once battery is happy RR will get warmer as it is carrying the load.

If you have done the Sasquatch fix then the shorter the wires from the RR to your join the cooler they will be.  It is the long, small gauge, wires that are under-rated for their task, and this is why they heat up.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

stopwatch

Yeah ox, it would seem at start up the rr wires to the battery would be flowing more current, but I nearly always have mine on a tender overnight (I'm a bit anal) so my battery's always very happy first thing. The hot area is that bundle which contains both the wires from the stator AND the wires coming from the rr. I guess I could cut off that plastic sleeve that keeps those two sets together and "feel 'em up" separately. The most heat seems to be present when I keep the revs up around 4k+ for extended periods.

oxnsox

At lower revs you ain't going to get the full power out of the charging system, this is probably why you only notice things warming up when the revs are higher.  

If the cables are getting warm, and you want to minimise this: either free the cables from the sleeve as you say (simple but more a bandaid than a fix) or do the Sasquatch mod.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

stopwatch

As I stated futher up, I've already done the Sasquatch mod. I was just wondering if anyone else had checked the temp of these wires during operation at different revs to see if other folks who've done the mod had similar experiences. I was just thinking of removing that wiring sleeve to determine which wires were giving off the high/ low heat ranges. After melting that fuse, I've just become a little more "interested" in keeping an eye on any heat issues in the associated wiring. It's sometimes hard to tell where other people are located who post in the forums, but it gets pretty darn hot in the southeast of the USA.  I'm sure stop and go traffic in 90+ temps keeps things pretty warm (Stretch can tell ya about Georgia heat). I never checked the wiring temps before doing the mod to see if there's any difference  in wiring heat. I may unplug the mod and plug back into the factory "route" for a ride just to compare, though I DO enjoy the extra voltage I've always gotten w/ the mod.
I appreciate everyone's feedback!