News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Operation battle tank!

Started by DirtBiker, June 30, 2007, 04:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtBiker

I couldn't resist it any longer. I've got to get out on the dirt and see what this bike can do.

I've found out the harder I push it the better it handles. Trying to go slow and easy doesn't work on a heavy machine (in my oppinion).

So I need armor,    lots of it.

I have the triumph center stand, so touratech skid plate won't work. I've seen others on bikes but can't seem to find them on line. Any links? places to visit?

I got a 01 955

Thanks for your help

Toby

fano

Touratech skid plate does work with center stand on 01.

abruzzi

Quote from: "fano"Touratech skid plate does work with center stand on 01.

Wht makes it stop working?  the 05-06?  I have an 03 with TB crash bars and Triumpg center stand.  As far as I know, the center stand in the same on 01-04.  Will it work on my bike?

Geof

Advwannabe

There is an earlier thread on this subject, 05 onwards seem to have a problem.

On the subject of armour, I noticed a GS where the guy had alloy plate over the top of the centerstand, which on our bikes would protect the suspension linkage. Might be worth a look?

Keep us posted on your offroad adventures, Tigger goes o.k if you're patient.

CHeers,
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

DirtBiker

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Keep us posted on your offroad adventures, Tigger goes o.k if you're patient.

CHeers,

Patience nothing! Who's got time for that! Nah just kiddin. Who got the money.

So if Touratechs will work I'll probably go with them I've got their crashbars already. Just have to wait till they are off the back order list.

Actually the way it looks I'm going to have an all Touratech bike since I can't find much else out there.

Problem is I still like the street capabilities and don't want to lose to much of that. I love doggin the sport bikers I think they get mad that this silly upright bike can keep up with them :lol:

I saw the husband and wife team this weekend (2ride the world)  their bikes had the skid plates on the center stands I was thinking on going plastic to help with the weight.

If I can figure out my camera I'll start posting up some pictures

Thanks for all the help.

Toby

abruzzi

If you dont mind humoring me, where exactly does the rear of the frame mount?  A stock '03 tiger has the rider foot pegs on a plate.  Two screws go through (unthreaded) this plate, through the frame (also unthreaded) into a small plate that is threaded, creating a sandwich.  With the center stand, the final threaded plate on each side is replaced  with a different plate that decends with a couple of bolts that act as pivot and stop for the center stand.

It seems from the instructions touratech posts that it is somewhere on the two screws that the rear of the skidplate frame mounts.  If it is supposed to sandwich between the threaded plate and the frame it would have to be pretty thin because it would offset the center stand mounts inward, giving the stand less support (if this is the case, how thin is it at that point?).  If it sandwiched between the frame and the peg hanger plate, it wouldn't be too good for the brake pedal I would suspect.  So does it mount on the outside, between the screw and the peg hanger plate?

Or am I completely off?

Sorry about the details, but the instructions and pics seem vague enough that I cant tell, and while I want to trust you that it does work, since the manufacturer says it doesn't, I want to be sure before I throw away $300.  Due diligence/caveat emptor and all that stuff.

thanks,

Geof

fano

DirtBiker

Good link I bookmarked for later referance.

Thanks

abruzzi

thanks.  Exactly the kind of pictures I need to see.

Geof