News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Nasty looking oil

Started by Nick Calne, June 23, 2009, 06:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

Drained the steamer a couple of weeks ago.  Never seen engine oil like this before...

It was very viscose and totally black.  Is this indicative of a known problem, or just mega poor maintenance from the guy I bought the bike from?

If it's the latter, then gentlemen, we have a steamer abuser - let's form a posse, ride out and tar n feather him!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

JetdocX

Looks like he got every cent of use from the oil.  Just buy feathers, you already have tar. :wink:
From parts unknown.

nightrunner

That's not so bad.  Filter it through a rag and you can a few more miles out it.   :wink:
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "JetdocX", you already have tar. :wink:

Took the words right out of my mouth  :lol:

I would be tempted to split open the filter and have a good look for metallic particles with a magnet, then use a very bright light moved around to look for non ferous particles. It's not what you got out but what's left in there that I worry about :shock:

If you don't find anything you can feel a bit more confident.

Might be tempted to run some flushing oil through or just run it for a hundred miles or so, then change it again. Has it been sitting around for a long time and just run idle from time to time?

If the trippl3 runs on that it will run sweeter on anything else  :P
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint