News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain link ??

Started by KuzzinKenny, June 27, 2009, 01:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KuzzinKenny

At 20k mile i thought its time to replace the chain/sprockets so ordered this...

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/triumph ... 1486-p.asp

No problem with the supplier, very quick delivery, as allways !! but im confused  :?  i would think that with a rivet type link, the side plate should slide easy onto the link !! even if i tryed to fit one of the link pins through the side plate hole it wouldn`t go, so my question is, is this how it should be ??

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

abruzzi

That's how mine was. It took quite a bit if banging to get mine on.

Geof

Nick Calne

I popped one of these chains on last month and it took quite a good squeeze with the chain tool.  (Not easy when you are nursing broken bones in your hands!!!)
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

swamper650

When I replaced mine last year, rigged up a small c clamp to press them together Peened the link and have had  no issues since.
You don\'t quit riding because you get old...you get old when you quit riding

KuzzinKenny

Thanks for the reply`s, guy`s !! it just seamed strange to force it on, so thought i`d check here !! Tigger is now fitted up with new chain and sprockets, i`ve gone for a 19t front and standard 46t rear !! :D  

i will get out for a ride as soon as this fog and drizzle stops  :(

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bixxer Bob

I think there's a couple of reasons for the tight fit:

a.  You press the plate onto the pins until it just closes the oil rings so as to keep the crap out; too much and you cause a stiff link which will run rough and wear out prematurely.  If it was an easy fit you'd rely on the peaning over of the pins to control how tight the link is, and it would inevitably wear loose.

b.  If the plate was an easy slip-on fit the very small gaps would allow the pins to flex as the chain tensions and relaxes leading to premature failure of the side plate.

I know the plates can fracture because, on my 900 Trident, on a chain that had done only 8,000 miles, after a spirited ride home I thought I'd lube the chain while it was warm, only to find 3 cracked plates  :shock:  any one of which could have let go when I was ragging it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

KuzzinKenny

Thanks for the extra info Bixxer Bob, kinda makes sence now !! got out for a test run tonite, still foggy but got clearer the deeper inland i got, to the point where the sun was shining :)
but the last 20ml to home was foggy and very damp !! still, it was good to get out on the Tigger for 100ml run and everything feels OK !!

KK

ps i likee the 19t sprocket !! :)

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"but got clearer the deeper inland i got, to the point where the sun was shining :)

Come to the West where it's sunny  :XXsunsmile  :ImaPoser

Interesting info, haven't done a chain myself in years, things have moved on a bit.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Come to the West where it's sunny  :XXsunsmile  :ImaPoser

Interesting info, haven't done a chain myself in years, things have moved on a bit.

Yip !! the curse of the east coast, FOG !! :( and as far as i can remember its the first time i`ve replaced a chain/sprockets on a bike and i`ve been ridin for years and had a load of bikes !! but i`ve never had a bike as grrrreat as the Tigger !! :)  

hope to keep it a long time !!

KK

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Yip !! the curse of the east coast, FOG !! :(

Be back in Maybole on Sat for a couple of weeks, the forecast looks like rain  :cry: I wouldn't wish fog on anyone, rain I can deal with.  

Now that you mention it, I can only ever recall changing a rear sprocket once, BSA C15 and then only because the carrier bolts had worked loose and the holes had opened out. Everything worked loose on that bike, damn thing was held together by Devcon & Threadlock, maybe it was the was the way I rode it  :oops:

I guess this is the price we pay for lighter weight and higher performance on modern bikes but I'm not complaing  :D

I nearly forgot to ask, how did you get on with the tool, I am still undecided which one to get. My criteria will include compact and light for use touring.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Everything worked loose on that bike, damn thing was held together by Devcon & Threadlock, maybe it was the was the way I rode it  :oops:

My mate has an old Sunbeam.  He usually only goes for a coupe of miles bimble around the country lanes then puts it back in the garage, puts the oil tray under it.  Then he gets out his Pan European and goes round again picking up the bits that fell off.

I asked him if he ever heard of threadlock.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"I nearly forgot to ask, how did you get on with the tool

TOOL  :shock: 4" engineers vice, long nose mole grips and a small ball bearing ( DON`T TRY THIS AT HOME ) this is purely for the dumb and skint amongst us, like me :)

KK

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"and goes round again picking up the bits that fell off.

I asked him if he ever heard of threadlock.....

Ah, a true collectors bike then  :lol:

QuoteTOOL Shocked 4" engineers vice, long nose mole grips and a small ball bearing

Right, I misunderstood, thought you had gotten the chain breaker and rivetter kit. I feel lost without a 4" engineers vice but they won't let me keep one on my desk in the office  :roll: and unless someone makes a cheap titanium version I am not putting one on the top box.

Anybody else got experiences of 'field' chain tools?

JetdocX

Motion Pro makes a do it all chain tool.  Costs some $$$ but compact and all in one plastic case.  Unsure whether MP will ship to EU countries, but it's worth a look.  

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0058/

I own one.  And it works. :wink:
From parts unknown.

TigerTrax

You can get by without a chain tool....
but the MP is a very good, heavy duty kit.

Far better than carrying a s uper tough file, a punch, and a hammer....
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'