News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

I hate my bike. Gearbox seizure!!

Started by RobH, June 27, 2009, 04:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobH

Oops! Overlooked the sticky, I'll have a look. Thanks.

Engine was an ebay job, engine was a good price (pending condition!) but the freight was a joke - £125!! (bout $190)

Sin_Tiger, if you can give me an idea what parts you're likely to need I'll let you know whether this engine will be of any use. It hadn't been particularly well rebuilt from what I've seen, there's a few dodgy threads in some of the alloy and, as you know, the gearbox is damaged. As mentioned earlier, sprag was allegedly replaced a couple of thousand miles ago and I did the alternator drive bolt upgrade to fix DAR. The head is suspect (bit rattley) although I do have a complete spare from a speed triple along with tensioners etc which I never got around to fitting. I wasn't even confident about the compression (seemed low) although I suspect it was more likely a valve problem than pistons/bore, no smoke. All that aside, it did go much quicker than my mate's low mileage model.

Cheers

H

cornman

robh, beware the shift selector drum!

http://www.bikebandit.com/triumph-motor ... 6/o/m17559

i posted a few days ago about a pal with a "steamer" who has reverse shift. it's been decided that the engine was probably swapped with a sprint/speed trip motor.
check the part numbers and descriptions of your old tiger vs the new motor's drum.
while your elbow deep in motors, now would be a good time to figure if you need to swap essential parts.

RobH

Hmm..it may be from an Adventurer/Trident, these don't have the gear selector linkage to reverse the shift as I understand it. I'll dig a bit deeper.

Cheers

H

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "RobH"Sin_Tiger, if you can give me an idea what parts you're likely to need

Don't want to hijack this so PM sent.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint