News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Help! I Need a Shift Shaft Seal for a 1995 Steamer...

Started by The Kurgan, July 06, 2009, 04:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Kurgan

My friend rides a beautiful 1995 Steamer. Yesterday, his shift shaft seal went... and now its leaking oil all over the place. He's planning a long trip and leaves the day after tomorrow. The local Triumph dealers are saying that it will take 7-10 working days to get the new seal in from England. Does anybody know if there's a compatible shift shaft seal from any of the 4 Jap brands? Thanks in advance. Kurgs
[size=84]2005 Triumph Tiger 955i (BRG)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Dynojet O2 Sensor Bypass
-- Factory Gel Seat, Luggage & Liners
-- Bestem Topbox
-- Bagster Tank bag & Cover
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Mustang

It's just a standard oil seal with a metal insert , if you know the diameter of the hole in the case where it goes and the diameter of the shift shaft , your good to go .

Now for the truly bad news .......you usually will destroy the bearing that is in the cover for the shaft to ride on , when you replace the seal . the bearing has to come out to put the new seal in .

Also make sure it is the shifter shaft seal that is leaking and not the clutch pushrod seal that is leaking

Tim

This is way to ironic!!  Friday night my '98 Steamer is leaking like crazy, so I called the local Hamilton dealer on Sunday to find a clutch pushrod oil seal, plus I might as well do the sprocket cover gasket and the gearbox lever oil seal also.
Same thing as you Kurgan, I have to wait 7 to 10 days for them to be shipped from England.  
I was leaving this coming Friday for an Eastern Ontario tour, well you can guess what is happening now!  I have to say I'm very dissapointed with Triumph Canada for not having these parts in the country.  If you change you chain and sprockets these parts are needed!
Good luck on your search.
Mustang, are you sure about damaging those bearings?  The Haynes pictures make it seem soooo easy.
Never under-estimate old guys on old bikes

The Kurgan

Quote from: "Tim"This is way to ironic!!  Friday night my '98 Steamer is leaking like crazy, so I called the local Hamilton dealer on Sunday to find a clutch pushrod oil seal, plus I might as well do the sprocket cover gasket and the gearbox lever oil seal also.
Same thing as you Kurgan, I have to wait 7 to 10 days for them to be shipped from England.  
I was leaving this coming Friday for an Eastern Ontario tour, well you can guess what is happening now!  I have to say I'm very dissapointed with Triumph Canada for not having these parts in the country.  If you change you chain and sprockets these parts are needed!
Good luck on your search.
Mustang, are you sure about damaging those bearings?  The Haynes pictures make it seem soooo easy.

No irony here. I was referring to you Tim. I have a mutual friend, Walt R., and he informed me or your dilmena last night... so I thought I'd post up here. I was mistaken by the year of your Tiger. I originally saw your Steamer for sale (red one) on Kijjiji and was surprized to hear that one of Walt's friends bought it. I was REALLY TEMPTED to buy it myself, but one Tiger in the garage is enough for now!  8)

I hope you can get this thing sorted before your trip. I had to replace a shift shaft seal and output shaft seal on my KLR650 (both were defective from the factory) but it was an easy in and out process. It appears, however, that it may be a more involved process on a Steamer.

Either way, we should hook up one of these days and go riding. I love the early Tigers! I hear the 1998 is the one to get as most of the niggles were sorted.

I prefer riding with other Tiger riders, as guys like Walt and their R1's/Thundercats are just too damn fast... and Walt has one heavy wrist!  :D

Cheers,

Kurgan (John)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Bestem Topbox
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Mustang

Quote from: "Tim"Mustang, are you sure about damaging those bearings?  The Haynes pictures make it seem soooo easy.
Let's just say I would'nt try to get the old one out without having a new one on hand  :shock:
it's a press fit on the bearing and it usually gets pretty well screwed up by the time you get it removed. a new bearing is less than 10 bucks ...............

The Kurgan

Thanks for the feedback Mustang...

now here's another question...

Given your vast experience with these bad-assed Tigers... do you know, off hand, the outer and inner diameter, plus depth/width, of these seals?

I'm going to my Triumph dealer today, and I want to see if there's anything of those dimensions in stock?

No worries if you don't have the measurements on hand.
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Bestem Topbox
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Mustang

the shifter shaft seal is :

.875 inch OD x .433 (11mm) ID x .270 (7mm)wide

The triumph p/n is 3600008-T0301

The Kurgan

Mustang;

All I can say is "thank you". You went well above and beyond the call of duty! I'm sure Tim will appreciate the info.

I'm off to my dealer to see if I can salvage a similar sized seal.

I'll ask about the bearing while I'm there.

Hopefully, we can get Tim on the road sooner than later.

John (Kurgs)
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Bestem Topbox
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

The Kurgan

O.K. my dealer in Hamilton doesn't have that sized seal in stock...  :cry:

Now the hard part... finding out which Jap motorcycle model has the same sized seal?

Anybody want to help in the search?

A new one can be ordered in two days!

Thanks in advance.
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Bestem Topbox
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Mustang

In looking at my spare cover I see that you can indeed change the seal with out disturbing the bearing  before I looked at the cover I thought the seal was at the bottom of the recess but it is the other way round and you can change the seal with out touching the bearing .  :oops:
you can't save the bearing when replacing a damaged cover is what I was thinking ..I think  :?

Tim

Gentlemen, I really appreciate your help!
Just to update you with what is going on;  I ordered (and must wait the couple weeks to come from England) the clutch push rod seal (which was the leaking one), the gearbox lever oil seal and the sprocket cover gasket.
I called all the major Triumph dealers in Ontario with always the same response, "must order it from England".  I then called Triumph North America's customer service in Georgia and left a voice mail.  This motor is used in varying models and various years, correct?  These parts should be renewed when changing the chain and sprockets which is scheduled maintenance, correct? (mine failed for not changing them).  The parts total less than $30 (what's the cost? Maybe $5-$10?).  Why are these inexpensive and obvisously needed parts not standard in every district's warehouse?  These parts should be in stock at the dealer or at his doorstep in one to three days, maximum.
My response to this situation is; "this is not acceptable proceedure".
I've got a couple weeks of down time now, free time to make myself heard.  I'm going to continue till I hear something from Triumph North America and Head office too.  Maybe I can prevent this thing from happening to someone else.
Wish me luck and thanks again.
Tim

JetdocX

I'm lucky to have a dealer locally.  I'm also lucky if there is an oil change kit in stock.  Why should he stock parts for the one and only Steamer within 300 miles?  I don't think I would.
From parts unknown.

The Kurgan

Tim;

I've been doing some research on compatible jap seals, as we all know the big four keep such seals in stock in any of their warehouses. So far, no luck.

The bright side is that while your Tiger is "off the road" you can do some other needed maintenance? I would personally strip her down, check every wire, every connection, every grease point, every pivot point, every nut and bolt and also give her a good cleaning.  :lol:

When checking the fasteners on my Tiger, I found a few loose ones.

Did you check with Inglis Cycle in London?

Good luck.
-- TOR Can & Tune
-- Bestem Topbox
-- R&G Crash Protectors
-- 55w Fog Lights[/size]

Tim

Well, here we are.  14 days have come and gone.  Still waiting for the third part to arrive.
I truely understand why the company went belly up so many times.
How long could it possibly take?  "Oi Nigiel, just got a email from Canada.  Could you wander down the bin isle and fetch me a couple of seals?"  "Why yes Nigiel, please finish your tea and crumpets first".
Come on!  Fourteen days?

John,  If / when I get her back on the road, we'll get together for a spin.  You should talk to Walt about the end of Sept ride.  I'm taking the group down to PA.

akendall1966

Going from Mustangs picture  post, if Triumph are letting you down...

Try  http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p25690 ... _info.html they will ship international

Or have you looked to see if there is a NAK distributor in Canada.? At risk of questioning Mustangs measuring in the picture I read  on the seal itself  NAK - TC - 12 - 22 -7 -16 which I believe is TC = double lip seal ID 12mm OD 22mm W 7mm

Hope this helps

Ade66
----AK-----