News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

check engine light

Started by motorjon68, July 09, 2009, 12:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorjon68

I'm considering buying a '99 Tiger with 28k. Seems a nice bike. When I started it, I had to push the starter then pull in and release the clutch!? That's issue one. The second is that the check engine light came on. Anyone know what these mean?

Stretch

You had to pull in the clutch lever to start the bike?  Try it with the bike in Neutral...  the safety interlocks work so that if the Neutral light isn't on, the clutch must be pulled in.  Conversely, if the Neutral light is on, the clutch lever shouldn't have to be pulled in to start the bike.  Unless one of these switches is broken, dirty, corroded, disconnected, etc.

As for the Check Engine Light, it could be a number of things.  Most likely, the owner jump-started the bike with booster cables.  That always triggers the CEL on my bike.  I've also heard of old fuel causing the computer to recognize that the engine isn't running as it should.  It could also be a sensor going bad, etc.

In lieu of having a dealer plug his diagnostic tool into the bike to read the trouble codes, the CEL should reset itself (if nothing is wrong with the bike) after three cooling cycles.  That is, the bike warms up enough for the radiator fan to switch on, and then the engine cools down to stone cold... three times.

With 28,000 miles on it, make sure that the bike has already had its 24,000 mile service, which includes plugs, filters, valve adjustment, all fluids changed, etc.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Stretch"You had to pull in the clutch lever to start the bike?  Try it with the bike in Neutral...  the safety interlocks work so that if the Neutral light isn't on, the clutch must be pulled in.  Conversely, if the Neutral light is on, the clutch lever shouldn't have to be pulled in to start the bike.  Unless one of these switches is broken, dirty, corroded, disconnected, etc.

Really??? I've had my Tiger nearly 2 years and always had to pull the clutch in to start her, even with the neutral light on.  I always thought it was just Triumph being extra safe.  So now I need to look for a wiring fault.... :twisted:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

geotiger

[quote="Bixxer Bob]Really??? I've had my Tiger nearly 2 years and always had to pull the clutch in to start her, even with the neutral light on.  I always thought it was just Triumph being extra safe.  So now I need to look for a wiring fault.... :twisted:[/quote]

Yes you have to pull the clutch in whether in neutral or in gear for it to start.  It is that way on my 05 anyway, and I think it states that in the manual.  Safety people, safety! :lol:
"The one thing we can learn from history is that we don\'t learn from history." - Shaw

Stretch

Dah, I forgot then.  I disconnected mine ages ago.  Sorry for the misinformation.

motorjon68

In this instance you have to push the start button and pull in then quickly release the clutch. Seems like a bad connection. Maybe that fault is throwing the engine light code.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Stretch"Dah, I forgot then.  I disconnected mine ages ago.  Sorry for the misinformation.

Phew!!!  Luckily, I hadn't started to pull her apart.  Gonna do that tonight though, gotta Garmin Zumo 660 to fit  :wings

It has a built in MP3 player which I'm connecting to the Autocom to keep my pillion happy and can bluetooth to my phone, although why anyone wants to talk on the phone while riding is beyond me...... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...