News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Which Tiger GRRR to get

Started by chorizo, July 09, 2009, 09:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chorizo

I am in need of a Tiger.  Can you guys suggest the best years to look for with regards to overall ease of maintenance and decent dirt road characteristics.  No heavy duty trail riding.  Good commuter, good two up.  Easy to ride slow speeds, hop occasional curb, rutty, potholes, stuff like that.  Where I live the roads are bad. A sport bike is not an option. I want to ride not maintain.  I want to spend about 3000-4000. Thanks
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing

coachgeo

3-400???  Will get you a piece of a Tiger not a whole bike.  EACH non-op. part bike Steamers I got too build one out of cost double that easily.

Also.... you might consider more research.  Tiger is HEAVY bike.  IMHO Sounds too heavy for your off road goals.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

chorizo

Sorry that's 3000-4000.  If I only get a piece I'll take the tail end.  Medium rare.

coachgeo

guys in here know shiats more than I do so Im sure they will correct anything I say wrong.

at that price range I get the feeling you will have only two choices of Tigers. A Steamer (95-98yr) or early model Girly. (99-200x)

With saying that there is lots of threads between here and Adv. Riders board on comparing the two. This should help you decide.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

macgart

I picked up a 99 Girly for that range with 26k on in and in really good shape.  I probably could have gotten it cheaper but I bought it from a friend who needed money.

The 885i engine seems OK for most riding.  I can cruise on the freeway at 90+ with no problems and I've taken it places off-road that I never though I'd even try on a bike that heavy.  Mostly because I didn't plan ahead and had no real choice but go for it.  

I find my bike to be really comfortable, especially since I changed to the 1" lower Buell foot pegs.  I'm 6' and like a bit of leg room.

Good luck.  There's a thread on here somewhere about the good and bad traits of the various years.  I read it before I bought mine.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/

Stretch

Quote from: "macgart"There's a thread on here somewhere about the good and bad traits of the various years.  I read it before I bought mine.

This might be the one...

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5256

Chorizo, just spend a few days reading in the Girly and Steamer Tech forums here.  That should also give you enough information to gauge the strengths and weaknesses of the various Tigers.

If you have any specific questions, by all means fire away.

Advwannabe

Might be worth hanging out with the steamer guys and find out about parts availability too.

I spoke with a guy in St John NL the other day about his steamer and he loves it, says parts aren't an issue etc. You would pick up a decent one with the money you are talking about.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

chorizo

Do the Steamer and the Girly have similar engine characteristics?
Like oops wrong gear, no big deal.  Torque, torque is king with me.
How about the ride.  I like to say I'm no spaz but prefer forgiving easy
handling.

oxnsox

Quote from: "chorizo"I am in need of a Tiger. (edit)
:)  :)

Great way to start your quest...  good luck
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

macgart

My 99 885i is pretty much stock with the exception of progressive fork springs and tires.  

I took it up a pretty nasty mining road a while back and it did fine considering I was fully loaded with camping gear, fuel, food, etc.  The power is really smooth and easy to modulate.  The suspension is just too soft for any serious dirt action (but that's what I have a dirt bike for) and it is top heavy.  That being said, I thought it did great for what it is.  All the other bikes at the campout were hard core dirt bikes, so I was the star/idiot (depends on your point of view I guess) for getting my bike there.

Considering I was riding at nearly 10k feet altitude on loose rocky steep mining roads and dozer cuts with stock tune and pipe, and Distanzias, I'd say the 99 Girly does pretty fair.  Way fun on the street though!

Great all around bike.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/