News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Low Fuel Warning Light

Started by dewd, May 21, 2009, 04:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2004Tiger

Quote from: "mrazekan"...What I don't know is how many miles I have left after the fuel light comes on...

Why not? When it comes on, fill the tank. Subtract your fill amount from 6.4 and the result is the fuel remaining. Unless your gauge is erratic (it happens) this fuel remaining will repeat each time the light comes on. Multiply the fuel remaining times your usual miles per gallon and that is the miles you have left after the light comes on. For each tankfull, when the light comes on add your reserve miles to your current odo number and keep this number in mind as you ride down the road; gas up before you get there.  Basic calculations for anyone driving from here to there. Every motorcycle, every Tiger, every car and truck will have a different "reserve miles." If you know what it is, no need to pucker your bum until you get close to "vapor only."
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

sanjoh

Has anyone experienced the low fuel warning light being on all the time? Even with a full tank! How did you fix it?

Been traveling for the last couple of weeks and it sure is annoying.
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

Bixxer Bob

My light comes on and the gauge bottoms out occasionally - ususally a few miles after I fill her up. (Cue panicky, buttock-clenching thoughts about massive fuel leak the first time it happened) It's probably a dirty connection somewhere that I'll look for when I have time.  For now,  it's just another on the long list of bugs which "add character".  I tend not to rely on my warnings anyway, I know she does around 200 miles to light on and that leaves at least another 40 miles in the tank, so usually aim to fill up around the 200 mile mark.

Oh, and for UK readers, don't forget American Gallons are smaller than UK ones:  1 UK Gal = 1.201 US Gals or 1 US Gal = 0.833 UK Gals.  which would make my 45 mpg average 54 mpg in American terms... hmm :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

TigerTrax

I always use my trip meter to measure when I need fuel.

My 'low fuel light' comes on at 212 miles and I usually have 1+ gals
in the tank, that means 60 - 70 POSSIBLE miles left in the tank... so I feel confident that I can hit 240-250 miles.  Unlike Kramer on a Seinfeld show.... I have not pressed on to see how far I could go.... but I may strap a 2 gallon can to the bike and get a better idea of how far I might be able to go further into no-mans-land before I am reaqlly stranded!

PS:
For all you riders looking at aluminum panniers.... figure a 10% reduction
in gas mileage. If you are fighting the wind.... maybe 15%. Nothin like big ol boxes hangin' out there smashing bugs!  So I'll use them for LD rides.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

oxnsox

QuoteOh, and for UK readers, don't forget American Gallons are smaller than UK ones:
So lets just stick to metric values then...  It would all make life a lot simpler :lol:  :lol:
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

REGULATOR

Ive seen 300 miles on a tank before, and usually when I get nervous and finally stop in the 200's I never have to put much in, its almost as if my 01 fuel light is the half tank light...

BUT

I noticed my milage went DOWN with larger windshield...(biggest cee bailey one)

best milage was with stock windshield I have on for the summer cause of th eheat

EvilBetty

Quote from: "sanjoh"Has anyone experienced the low fuel warning light being on all the time? Even with a full tank! How did you fix it?

Yes, but usually accompanied by a fuel needle also on the low side.

It's usually attributed to the Fuel Sending Unit.  $100 part new.  Installed on the under side of the tank.  I got a used one from a 2006 off eBay to fix mine.  Been find ever since.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

sanjoh

Quote from: "EvilBetty"
Quote from: "sanjoh"Has anyone experienced the low fuel warning light being on all the time? Even with a full tank! How did you fix it?

Yes, but usually accompanied by a fuel needle also on the low side.

It's usually attributed to the Fuel Sending Unit.  $100 part new.  Installed on the under side of the tank.  I got a used one from a 2006 off eBay to fix mine.  Been find ever since.

So the light was on and the fuel gage was not working at all?
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

EvilBetty

On mine the needle always read empty and the light was on.  Occasionally the needle would wiggle a little and the light go off for a while but it always came back on after a couple mines.

Most of this was due to an older float design in the fuel sending unit.  It would swell or disform and cause it to jam in the tube.  The newer design does not seem to have this problem.  Some times it's covered under warranty (even if your bike is out of warranty).  Check with your dealer.

Otherwise the part is $120 I think.  If you do it yourself, you have to pull the tank and drain it, then remove the 4 screws holding it in and slip it out.  Check the gasket for any tears or other problems, otherwise reuse.  Torque to 7nm if I remember right.

If your needle is working fine, this would be the 2nd time I've heard of this... someone else recently posted their light was coming on but the needle was working fine.

clayrat

I RAN MY TIGER 06 TANK OUT, FILLING IT TOOK 23 LITRES WHICH MEANS THERE IS APROXIMATLY 1 LITRE IN BOTTEM OF FUEL TANK AND PUMP FILTER SYSTEM.I ALSO GET 70 KILOMETERS PLUS AFTER LIGHT COMES ON .
               CHEERS ALL
fastest is best

Nimrod11

Quote from: "EvilBetty"On mine the needle always read empty and the light was on.

I have the same problem. I just got a quote for a new sender for $96.48. Not bad. I have heard that the original part tends to fill with fuel and the float sinks. Apparently the new ones are better quality.

Most embarrassing thing happened last weekend. I was riding along and ran out of fuel at about 320 km (200 mi). Had to get a truck to the nearest gas station. The worst part was that I was with two friends on beemers. Darn...
----------
Tiger 2004

EvilBetty

There was one on eBay last search.  I got mine from a 2006 for $23 shipped in December.  It's been flawless.

Stretch

Quote from: "Nimrod11"Most embarrassing thing happened last weekend. I was riding along and ran out of fuel at about 320 km (200 mi). Had to get a truck to the nearest gas station. The worst part was that I was with two friends on beemers. Darn...

Say it ain't so!

Dude, build yourself a siphon hose...

Eight feet of 3/8-inch fuel line with a primer bulb.  No sucking, no mouthful of fuel... just stick the long end into the fuel source and squeeze the bulb until the fuel flows.  As long as the discharge end of the hose is lower than the intake end, it will flow all by itself.

This puppy saved me a lot of time and aggravation when I mistakenly filled my rental V-Strom's tank with diesel in Coldfoot, Alaska.   :oops:

The fuel line can be found at any auto parts store, and the primer bulb is for outboard boat motors.  

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... classNum=0

I put the whole thing together for about 25 dollars.

Since it's so small, you can keep it in your saddlebags all the time.  And you can be The Roadside Hero when your buddy, riding a Harley Sportster with a three-pint tank, runs out of gas.  :mrgreen:

Nimrod11

Quote from: "Stretch"Dude, build yourself a siphon hose...

Now you tell me?????????  :wink:

My thoughts exactly. And I also intend to have a fuel bag so you can get to a station or transfer from another bike.
----------
Tiger 2004

REGULATOR

so with the taller screen and big square boxes my milage will suck huh...dang.   maybe if I add an extended tank...