News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Newbie dropping in

Started by flaco, July 14, 2009, 12:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flaco

If it wasn't for this damn piece of work I have to finish by tonight, I'd be riding the coast road between St. Ives and St.Just here in Cornwall. Bought an 04 Tiger 955i in black, 15000 miles, back in February, trading in a Transalp and a lot of frustration. Happier now, I'm still waiting to do the big trip, though I did ride to Scotland in 07 on a different Tiger. Wonder if anyone can help me with a few, probably frequently asked, questions?

Scottoiler- yes or no?
Screen- I'm 6'2'', riding with the stock screen and it's a headbanger, isn't it? Any recommendations?
Handguards- my bike came without any. Any comments?
Tyres- I suppose I have to change my spoked wheels to be able to go tubeless? Am I right in thinking you can't do a roadside repair on tubed tyres?

Sorry- this is quite a list, but if anyone can help with anything, I'd be very grateful.
Great bike, great forum.
Bugger work- I'm heading for the coast.
kernow bys vyken

TigerTrax

Chain Oiler:
Scott oilers are good. I used to have one.... kind of a PIA.
Just carry some lube with you and oil as needed.

The M-Vario touring screen seems to be the top choice around here for Girly Tigers. I am 6'5" and it cascades air over the top of my helmet.
Other than that, a few riders are cutting the screens down and taking air
in the chest.

Regardless... quite a bit of 'turbulent/noise comes from around the side of the fairing and the mirrors... up the arms and under the helmet.

Tires: The subject from Hell! See our MANY threads!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

matttys

Oil - I use a small aerosol can or drip bottle at gas stops.

Windscreen - I'm 6'3" and the MRA Vario is the best screen on any of my 5 bikes.

Handguards - Stock are fine if you don't plan on crashing.  I'm sure you can probably post in the classifieds and find someone who has taken theirs off.  I still use the stock ones.

Tires - I carry spare front/rear tubes, irons, lube and an electric pump for road side troubles.
\'02 Girly, \'03 F650GS Dakar, \'05 DRZ470SM, \'90 DR350, \'03 DRZ134SM

Bixxer Bob

Hi Flaco,

I have a scottoiler and am not yet convinced that it isn't the cause of my fueling probs.  Triumph don't approve their fitting. You can also read in the how not to do things thread about the scottoiler being responsible for my throttle jamming open.  Happened to another guy too.

I have a Skidmarx tall screen, cheap at about £35 and does a reasonable job.

I live near the other St Ives in Cambridgeshire; we used to do an annual charity bike ride to yours, called it the Pasty Run.  We haven't done it recently, the guy who used to run it died riding home from work.

BB
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

Hi Falco,

Welcome aboard.

I am also using a Scottoiler (with the touring reservoir) and it seems to do the job ok for me.

As for the screen I have the Skidmarx the same as Bob and it seems to do a reasonable job for the money. It's not perfect but quite an improvement over the stock.

There is quite a lot of info on Handguards on this site, you can fit BMW GS ones, Tiger 1050 ones or Acerbis I think. Just search the site.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

iansoady

Quote from: "flaco"Tyres- I suppose I have to change my spoked wheels to be able to go tubeless? Am I right in thinking you can't do a roadside repair on tubed tyres?

You can modify the spoked wheels to use tubeless tyres - http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-workshop/46888-what-i-did-on-my-holidays-spoke-sealing.html this is one way. I did this 15,000 miles ago with no problems so far.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650