News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Steamer, dead tach, anything else I should look for?

Started by Papalobster, July 20, 2009, 03:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papalobster

I'm picking up a Steamer next week. I'm trading my R100GS for it, the Tiger is a  98 vintage with about 15000 on the clock. I've been searching and reading and looking for problems areas and came up with the coils and starter sprag. I figure I can look and see who has what problems, but it might be easier just asking directy. Anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Also, the tach is dead. The previous owner replaced the tack itself, but it still dosn't work. Any common problems with that?

akendall1966

Alternator rattle is a fairly common one, search on DAR (dreaded alternator rattle) for more info.

Otherwise a 98 should be pretty reliable if its been maintained properly.
----AK-----

JetdocX

Look here:

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4997

Lots of info available here, just use the search function. :D
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Quote from: "Papalobster"Also, the tach is dead. The previous owner replaced the tack itself, but it still dosn't work. Any common problems with that?
The tach is driven by the igniter (ECU) off of the #1 cylinder  . A dead or weak battery will usually make the tach needle spike up to a high # on the guage but only when you turn the key on , MOTOR still OFF .

You could have a bad igniter , but that usually goes hand in hand with a steamer that won't run .

Papalobster

I took the SS Badger across lake Michigan this morning to swap my GS for this :D

Papalobster

Took it apart last night. I found that the signal wire to the tach had worn through on the metal guage frame just on top of the igniter. After repairing the wire, the tach still doesn't work.  So it's either the tach or the igniter now.

I'm going to hook up an automotive tach to see if I have a signal or not.

coachgeo

Nice looking tiger.  It had definately been lowered a good bit.  something I'll have to do with mine.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

JetdocX

Quote from: "coachgeo"Nice looking tiger.  It had definately been lowered a good bit.  something I'll have to do with mine.

Yours will look like that, too when you compress the suspension with thos straps. :wink:
From parts unknown.

coachgeo

Quote from: "JetdocX"
Quote from: "coachgeo"...  It had definately been lowered a good bit.  ...
Yours will look like that, too when you compress the suspension with thos straps. :wink:
Dooahhhhh... :oops:  was wondering how such a nicely lowered bike kept such nice looking front fork bellows.  Usually they kink up over time from what I've seen :roll:  :oops:  :oops:
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)