News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain age?

Started by Bear, August 28, 2009, 01:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear

Just out of curiosity, how long should a chain/sprockets last. I do some dirt work (very little) the rest is on the tar, my 06 has done 36000Km or 22369.36miles and is still on its original chain and sprocket.

There seems to be a lot of play, if you pull the chain back at the back of the sprocket 5 or so mm. The teeth look fine, do you think I should stop being a tight ass and get a new one or wait until I get bailed up miles from home for being a tight ass?

Thanks
2006 Black Tiger
Street Triple (Minister for War & Finance)
DZR 250 K6 (Kids)
KTM 600
TT600
XT250
KT120

Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

KuzzinKenny

Hey Bear !! just done my first chain and sprocket replace at 20k ml on an 04.
there`s no age or milage thing about chains, its when its worn, it needs changed. have you had a look at the front sprocket ?? that one will show the most wear !! i did mine cos a few of the links were siezed  :shock:  and i`m always lubin it  :?  i went for the 19t front sprocket as i`m always lookin for 7th gear  :lol:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bear

That's the plan, going to 19 when I replace, got the same phantom 7th . You would think after that many km's you would learn but nooooooo!!!!!
Maybe it's a habit.
2006 Black Tiger
Street Triple (Minister for War & Finance)
DZR 250 K6 (Kids)
KTM 600
TT600
XT250
KT120

Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

brad1098

Looking for 7th? Look no further.  

19t front sproket and 43t rear.

I have been running this combination for 10k miles.  Wouldn't have it any other way.  Still able to run offroad.
02 black-Lorna

german

Well, in my case is the 3rd chain (no sprockets) replaced, my cat is nearly 60,000km
as has been mentioned, you need to check the sprockets condition also the chain, normally when the chain is degraded, it feels / looks in some parts more longer.
the sprocket can be worn in the (FWD)left face in the (Rear) R face, you can see the difference.

Next time I will replace the sprockets/chain.
Tiger 05´, Tiger 09´ ABS, CB550 76´

AndyM

I've been changing my chain and sprockets every 25k miles or so. The sprockets have still looked fine but I always change everything as a set. I've been using DIDZVM2 chains which cost a bit more but last a long time.

blacktiger

Firstly, I fitted a Scottoiler from new. Highly recommended.
My first chain went to 33000 miles and I only replaced it because that was more than double the life I've evr had out of a chain.
My second chain is now at 24000 miles and still going strong. I have replaced the front sprocket at 15000 miles because I reckon the wear on that will accelerate wear on the chain.
Always replace chain AND sprockets together. The slightest wear on the sprockets will make a new chain old very quickly.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

HockleyBoy

+1 on the scottoiler and my chain and sprokets have over 25k miles on them and still look good.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Bixxer Bob

Can't comment on my Tiger yet, but on the Blackbird, which is considerably more powerful ie 140bhp at the back tyre, I got 28k out of my first set and am now up to 30k on my second with no signs of it giving up yet.  Thanks to Scottoiler!!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...