News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Throttle Body Balancing with Carbtune

Started by EvilBetty, August 16, 2009, 12:16:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

Interesting... As soon as the rain lets up I'll go have it done!

Found 100's of 55-59mm clamps in the UK but shipping like always was a killer...  Cheapest I could make out was about $20 and I wasn't sure their shipping calculators were working correctly...

Trolled the web a while longer and finally found a place that sells the exact clamp I broke... at a sprinkler company... I think they are the only place in the USA that sells clamps this style and size individually!

http://bigsprinkler.com/catalog/55/hoseclamps
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Bixxer Bob

I was surprised to find mine would run on an early Daytona map, which is meant for basically the same engine but with higher lift cams.  The map has more aggresive ignition advance and way more fuel that the Tiger map.  It sounded really sharp and aggresive, but wouldn't tick over.  I mean to investigate this when I have more time.  According to the Tuneboy tutorials, you need to watch out for running it too lean and to check you really need an exhaust gas analyser, and also not to advance the ignition too far or you'll get detonations and engine damage.  

No sweat then....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

atokad

Wow - nice How To. Bring that sucker about 800 miles West to CO and I'll give you the Colorado Fall Colors Tour!

I did everything for my 12,000 a few weeks ago minus the valves and TB balancing. No job=no tools.  :(  for now, but I can afford a few $$ for gas to show you around!  :D

AndyM

What are the symptoms if the throttle bodies aren't synched? I think mine were last synched by a dealer about 50k miles ago. My local shop sells the Carbtune for less than $100 so I guess I'll be picking one up.

2004Tiger

EB, nice write up. Thank you.
I have questions:
My 2004 presently idles smoothly at 1200 RPM, which seems normal. Does this mean it is balanced? It has no hesitations or flat spots up through the RPM range.
When you see the three columns not matched, which column do you take as the correct pressure to be matched by the other two, and why?
If you hold the throttle at 1200 RPM while balancing and then relax the throttle, and it drops to 1000, what do you do to get it to idle at 1200?
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

EvilBetty

I can't answer as to what the symptoms of an unbalanced TB system would be.  Guesses would be less power and more fuel consumption.

You're not trying to set the vacuum at a particular level.  The goal is to balance them.  TB#1 is non-adjustable, therefore you are balancing to and 2 and 3 to the same level as 1.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "2004Tiger"EB, nice write up. Thank you.
I have questions:
My 2004 presently idles smoothly at 1200 RPM, which seems normal. Does this mean it is balanced? It has no hesitations or flat spots up through the RPM range.
When you see the three columns not matched, which column do you take as the correct pressure to be matched by the other two, and why?
If you hold the throttle at 1200 RPM while balancing and then relax the throttle, and it drops to 1000, what do you do to get it to idle at 1200?

If it's idling smoothly and runs sweet through the revs, for Pete's sake LEAVE IT ALONE!!!  Some of us would sell our grandmothers for that... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

2004Tiger

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"...If it's idling smoothly and runs sweet through the revs, for Pete's sake LEAVE IT ALONE!!!  Some of us would sell our grandmothers for that... :roll:
Yes, that is my intention. It also returns more than 50 MPG, riding fast in the Rockies.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

coachgeo

Quote from: "2004Tiger"
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"..... Some of us would sell our grandmothers for that... :roll:
Yes, that is my intention.....

So dose Grandfather agree with this sale or is he all for it?

:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

the cyclops

Quote from: "2004Tiger"
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"...If it's idling smoothly and runs sweet through the revs, for Pete's sake LEAVE IT ALONE!!!  Some of us would sell our grandmothers for that... :roll:
Yes, that is my intention. It also returns more than 50 MPG, riding fast in the Rockies.

At my 12K service my 06 was running great, but I went ahead and balanced her anyways.  It came a big snow as I was putting it back together so no ridie yet.  It was off pretty good so I am glad I did, figured its a minor adjustment that wouldn't hurt.  Kind of enjoyed it, and I just used a 15ft clear 1/4 hose with about a foot of 2 cycle oil on each side of thing.
Growing older but not up

Goober

Thanks EB!  I just balanced my TBs and your write-up was very helpful.  

FYI - My 2005 did not require extended fuel lines to run the bike with the tank off.  I just removed zip ties holding the fuel line and positioned the tank on the left side of the bike.  The fuel line and pump power line reached easily.

In regards to the symptoms of unbalanced TBs.  My bike was idling rough. It would bounce around from 1000 to about 13-1400 when idling.  It turns out my #2 TB was registering way above the other TBs when I hooked up the carbtune.  I balanced everything and now the bike idles smooth right around 1200.  Maybe it was a combination of things since I also replaced the air filter and spark plugs, but none of the old parts looked bad at all before I replaced them.
2005 Silver Tiger

the cyclops

Since I balanced mine I have noticed no more popping when I let off the throttle and let the engine brake.  It had been doing it really bad, and mine were not out too bad.
Growing older but not up

cdubya

Been doing some reading over at TRAT and folks balancing their TB's on their Speed Triples mentioned leaving all sensors hooked up to avoid any error codes.  Is this a consideration EB?  I noticed your airbox not being in your photos so I'm assuming sensors were all unhooked?
Thanks.
Chuck
06 Girly

EvilBetty

I don't think it's possible to get to the adjusters on all 3 cycl without pulling the airbox.

Even if you could, the effort would far exceed the task of running a 12 minute tune afterward to reset the sensor data.

If you have a ODBII cable and laptop, TuneECU is even easier.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "EvilBetty"I don't think it's possible to get to the adjusters on all 3 cycl without pulling the airbox.

Correct.  they're hard enough to get at with the box off!!

You could hook everything up before starting her up to ensure you don't get any codes, but like EB says, it's hardly worth it.  

Just do the balance, put her back together and if the MIL light is on, it'll go out after three warm up / cool down cycles.  As long as there's nothing else wrong of course.... :roll: