News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Noob question about rear preload

Started by sam, September 08, 2009, 03:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sam

OK, so I just got a '05 Tiger, came with a shop manual but curiously, no owner's manual. Super nice, but a little tall for me. The forks are already pulled up in the triple clamps about 1/2".  Shop manual tells how to take things apart, but is a little thin on some things. The rear preload thing under the seat is marked for less or more preload; when I turn it in the "less" direction, it clicks each time it goes around. Does that mean I'm out of adjustment and the click is telling me so, or that each click is some increment of adjustment? Does it just stop when it gets to the end of the range?

Thanks in advance.

Hatepylons

Quote from: "sam"OK, so I just got a '05 Tiger, came with a shop manual but curiously, no owner's manual. Super nice, but a little tall for me. The forks are already pulled up in the triple clamps about 1/2".  Shop manual tells how to take things apart, but is a little thin on some things. The rear preload thing under the seat is marked for less or more preload; when I turn it in the "less" direction, it clicks each time it goes around. Does that mean I'm out of adjustment and the click is telling me so, or that each click is some increment of adjustment? Does it just stop when it gets to the end of the range?

Thanks in advance.

Each click is simply an increment of adjustment. I forget how many clicks there are between each number on the pre-load cylinder. I used a mirror when I first got the bike just to see where the pre-load was at.

I have never completely backed out the adjustment, so you could let loose the second plague if you do. Be careful. ;-)

PeteH

Dont know how my 99 differs from the 05, but the owners handbook states that the rear shock has five adjuster positions plus whats between each position. Its delivered set at position 2 - rider only; position 3/4 - rider and passenger; position 5 - rider - passenger and luggage.
Remember that backing off the pre load will slacken the chain.
Have a fiddle, just take note of any adjustments made so you can put it back there if required.
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour