News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Air Races!

Started by JetdocX, September 19, 2009, 04:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"Also had the worst glide angle short of a brick, great plane though, there's a guy in South Africa who will take you up in one if you have the money.

Not surprising with those stubby wings, makes me think of a jet propelled penguin. I saw a program on Discovery with Martin Shaw with a lightning, remember something about having to be specifically qualified on it.

Don't get me started, Vulcan, the sexiest looking bomber ever  :shock:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

A couple of months ago I saw a vulcan bomber flying over Kemble whilst riding the tiger up to the Cotswolds.  (What a brilliant combination!) Fantastic looking plane and loud too.  Even miles away, on a bike, with a helmet on, and earplugs it could be heard...  Akrapovic exhaust system perhaps?

As for the lightning, I remember making airfix models of them as a kid and struggling to glue the wings on successfully, don't think I've ever seen one in the air sadly.  Maybe the wings fell off the real thing too!

Bet you guys would like this....

http://www.airtattoo.com/airshow
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

oxnsox

I can recall when they retired the Vulcans with some kind of farewell tour... I was probably about 10 and delivering newspapers afterschool.
It was a nice day but then it just went Dark... and the biggest plane I'd ever seen eclipsed the sun as it did a low slow fly-by over the whole city. The first and last time I ever saw the leviathan...
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HockleyBoy

Quote from: "oxnsox"I can recall when they retired the Vulcans with some kind of farewell tour... I was probably about 10 and delivering newspapers afterschool.
It was a nice day but then it just went Dark... and the biggest plane I'd ever seen eclipsed the sun as it did a low slow fly-by over the whole city. The first and last time I ever saw the leviathan...

They still have a Vulcan at Southend airport, been restored and you can go sit in it when they have the airshows.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

GWL

You've just awakened a long forgotten memory from when I was a young boy living at RAF St Athen in Wales. Our house was right at the end of the runway and I can remember the windows rattling when the vulcans used to take off.I can also remember some huge bombers that I think came from west Germany that used to land there as well. They were even louder than the Vulcans. It must have been around 1971 ish.  ah happy days :D

John Stenhouse

There is a Vulcan at Wellesbourne airfield up by Warwick, but the only flying one is run from Bruntingthorpe.

Still remeber Duxford when there was one doing display flying, wafted down the runway at fifty feet off the deck got to the end stood on it's tail and went straight up. Did the earth move for you darling? Yea Verily!!!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

Oh dear, memories  :)

JD sorry for the hijack :oops: , the Brits have camped out on your front lawn and broken out the tea and cucumber sandwiches   :D
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JetdocX

Quote from: "Sin_Tiger"Oh dear, memories  :)

JD sorry for the hijack :oops: , the Brits have camped out on your front lawn and broken out the tea and cucumber sandwiches   :D

No sweat!  Post a picture of this Vulcan, please.  I'm thinking a big fugly thing like the Vampire or something.... :lol:

or this:

Oh, and I prefer my cucumbers with whisky! :D
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

That is one wicked-looking piece of kit there!

One question...why do you Brits refuse to put your engines on pylons????
From parts unknown.

oxnsox

You guys don't have them on pylons in the stealth bomber.... And this is a 60year old machine!! These large Delta's have plenty of chord so there's probably even room to climb in and change the oil... :lol:  :lol:
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick Calne

One question...why do you Brits refuse to put your engines on pylons????[/quote]

JD - surely, by now, you must know that British engineers do things their own way for no logical reason whatsoever... It is not logical to 'build in' the engines, as it makes access and servicing difficult - therefore they do it.  The same principle dictated the design and construction of our steamers!

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "nickcalne"The same principle dictated the design and construction of our steamers!

:ImaPoser

Nick Calne

Am I getting my threads confused? :icon_scratch

The Midnight Rambler

I was lucky enough to se XH558 at the bournemouth airshow recently. Awesome is the only word. See: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/
If you want a good read try Vulcan 607 by Rowland White.
Boys own stuff about the Vulcan raid on the Falklands
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
― Hunter S. Thompson