News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Cam Chain

Started by mittens, July 17, 2009, 09:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mittens

Hi all, well, I've been complaining about a tapping noise since day one,( they all do that sir).Took it to the stealer today for him to reset the Co2 sensor and the TPS to try and eliminate the stalling on slowdown issue...
He had it for an hour and came back with "that tapping noise your hearing is your cam chain, I've never heard one so bad."
I must have spent 100+ hours on this site in the last 6 weeks, (yes I know  :shock: ) since I got the bike, but no-where have I read that this could be an issue. The bike is still 1000 shy of the 30k mark, kilometers I hasten to add.
So, he wants about three hours @$99 and $150 for the chain.
I figure that if he can do it in three, I should be able to do it in 8  :) , is this an easy thing to do, or it it something that is better left to someone that doesnt fit out offices for a living?
And if so, how?
Nextly, or in conjunction with, turns out that I cant buy a Haynes manual here in Oz. Where is the best place to get one online?
"If a hammer doesn\'t fix it you have an electrical problem"

Roulette Green 2001 Tiger 955i

ChazzyB

Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Bixxer Bob

Armed with a few tools and a Haynes manual you can tackle just about anything.  Just read it through a few times first and make sure you understand.  Lots of people here to ask if you're unsure.  But, before you start, are you sure it's the chain and not just the tensioner?  Not had any issues with my Tiger, but my Blackbird's done 56k miles, has had two tensioners, but is still on the first cam chain.  The tensioner is cheap(er) and far easier to fit, and you should replace it if your'e fitting a new chain anyway.  So what's the harm?  Try that first and you might save yourself a lot of trouble.

... I've just braved torrential rain to get my Haynes from the shed and the text on cam chain and tensioner is fairly short.  If you PM me an Email address, I'll scan it and Email it to you.  By the way, it says for Sprint and Daytonas you check the camchain regularly, but no mention of Tigers.  You could always follow the Sprint check though.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

mittens

pm sent thanks again for that.
Im only repeating what the mechanic said when I say cam chain. He did say that it could be the tensioner, or it might be that it just needs to be tensioned
 :)
But then maybe its already tensioned as far as possible.......
 :(
Or somethings broken..
  :cry:
"So bank on a cam chain and hope its nothing major!"  :shock:

oxnsox

Mittens, if you're still looking for a manual and don't want to go all the way to Blighty try looking across the ditch...

Got my thru these folk.  http://www.techbooks.co.nz
and for you it wouldn't even be spending real money :lol:
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

blacktiger

I would doubt that it's the cam chain. They don't normally make tapping noises.
Also, my Tiger has done 56000 miles on the original cam chain and I don't see any reason yours would go the same distance.
If I were you I'd get a second opinion from another mechanic before you do anything. Tapping could be just a valve shim needding changing.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

mittens

oxnsox: thanks for that, the books ordered and on its way.
blacktiger: also thanks for your info, while it is a tapping sound, it does border on a thrashing sound also. Regardless though, I am dubious as I havent really heard much on any of the forums regarding cam-chain failures.
Also, if I'm going to pay $99 an hour labor, I'd rather it go to the guy doing the work, rather than it paying for the "Authorized Triumph Dealer" sign swinging above the door.
I have heard nothing but good things about a guy 20 minutes away, I'll book it in on monday for him to have a look, besides, he has an in-house dyno, so I can get it sorted properly, rather than trying different stock tunes by trial and error.

mittens

sorry for the long delay.
Well we have ( I say we because I have bought a share in the shop  :evil: ) sorted out the ever present knocking noise.
Turns out the number 2 cylinder conrod was kaput, and a new piston was also required as well as the all the odds and sods.
In all it came to $2601 including labour at $99 an hour.  :shock:
But she runs quiet well now......

ChazzyB

Quote from: "mittens"...sorted out the ever present knocking noise.
Turns out the number 2 cylinder conrod was kaput, and a new piston was also required as well as the all the odds and sods.

Blimey! Was this the conrod small end bush foo-bar'd?
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S