News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve adjustment schedules?

Started by flux, April 08, 2009, 02:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flux

Hey guys, I was just thinking the other day...

I had my valves adjusted at 15K miles... was a little behind on the 12K service.  I am now at 24K miles.  When do ya reckon I should check these things again?  I can't imagine they go outta spec very often.  8)

Cheers.

Mustang

They should be checked every 12k

some engines go forever and need very little shimming while some need more frequent shimming ,

I've got a 95 that is still running on original shims from the factory , and I've got a 98 that needs shimming about every 10 k , depends how you use em
high rpm's for sustained miles will pound em as well as engines that ingest dirt

:shock:

tett

Mustang,

What are the symptoms of a Tiger that needs valves re-shimmed?  

Cheers and Tahnks!

tett

Quote from: "Mustang"They should be checked every 12k

some engines go forever and need very little shimming while some need more frequent shimming ,

I've got a 95 that is still running on original shims from the factory , and I've got a 98 that needs shimming about every 10 k , depends how you use em
high rpm's for sustained miles will pound em as well as engines that ingest dirt

:shock:
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Mustang

Hi Tett
welcome to the board

the usual symptoms are
very hard to start when cold , IE sitting overnight

and when you start getting zero to negative clearance , it is usually accompanied by backfire back thru the carbs / or throttle bodies .

Most engines I have adjusted valves on , it is always the intakes that go to zero clearance , with an occasional exhaust valve that tightens up . But mostly the intakes

tett

Thanks!

I have searched but can not find a step by step guide (with pics) on how to expose, check and shim, the valves.  Anything like this available.  I was quoted 4 hours work by two places.  Both at $75/hr!  Got to do this myself.

Cheesr,

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

tett

Do I feel dumb.  Found this same post  a minute after I sent my post

Thanks for the help.  Greatly appreciated.

tett

Quote from: "Stretch"In 'Girly Wisdom'...

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,34259
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger