News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain Tensioning Question

Started by Medic09, September 21, 2009, 10:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medic09

I have a new-to-me '02 Tiger.  I've never seen a chain adjustment setup like this before.  How does this work?  My owner's manual shows the wrong drive chain adjustment mechanism.  Can someone please explain to me how to adjust this chain?  Aside from loosening the pinch bolts first, I don't see how this works.

Thanks!
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

brad1098

Losen pinch bolts, but keep snug.

Find big ol "allen" wrench in tool kit.  12mm or somthing.

Put wrench in cam on chain side. rotate/tighten till your happy with the slack, everybody runs em a little different.

Notice hash mark location on cam.  Move wrench to disc side, put hash mark in same location as chain side.  

Visually check to make sure nothing moved on chain side.  Sometimes likes to.

Retighten pinch bolts.  Another visual inspection.

Bike off center stand.  Have somebody sit on it flat foot and check slack.

If not satisfied............repeat.
02 black-Lorna

2004Tiger

Rotate the axle carriers after you loosen the pinch bolts. Rotate them equally, then use your usual method to ensure that the rear wheel aligns with the front.

The chain requires more slack than the manual says. With both tires on the ground, no center or side stand, compress your suspension with two sizable bodies, at which point the chain requires no more slack. Now you can go back up on the centerstand and measure your actual slack requirement for future reference. Your reference dimension will change slightly when you change your monospring preload.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

Stretch

Don't overtighten the pinch bolts, as their mounts on the swingarm are prone to breaking.

iansoady

Don't slacken the spindle bolt as it will twist and the wheel will end up out of alignment. If it's kept tight, the 2 eccentrics should move in unison.

I use a hex drain plug adaptor with an o/e spanner on one side and the Triumph Allen key on t'other.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650