News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer to Alaska

Started by RiderX, August 22, 2009, 10:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiderX

A buddy and I are in the discussion phase on taking a trip to Alaska year after next. I have a '98 with 32k, engine guards, heated grips, center stand, givi saddles and top. I have been becoming intimately familiar with all of the routine maintenance issues over the last 2+ years I have owned this bike. I would plan on doing all the maintenance on it, take a set of knobbies and the usual stuff, but it ain't a brand new bike either. Any thoughts?

Stretch

A sturdy skidplate and radiator / oil cooler guards are a must if you're going to spend much time on the gravel highways.

nightrunner

+1 what Stretch said.

Also, have you rejetted the carbs?  Cold temps up there means denser air and hardder starting on an already lean bike.  Prolly be OK but just a thought.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

John Stenhouse

Go and enjoy yourself. Then post the trip report here!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

RiderX

The Steamers have a skid plate. Or did you mean a skid plate on top of the skid plate? Who carries such hardware?

abruzzi

Quote from: "RiderX"The Steamers have a skid plate. Or did you mean a skid plate on top of the skid plate? Who carries such hardware?

I've considered reinforcing the stock skid plate.  Basically the idea would be extending the bottom "tongue" 3 or 4 inches, welding support bars from the tongue to the side bars on either side, and replacing the aluminum plate/insert with something of a heavier gauge.   The steamer skid plate is better than the Girly one, but it is kind of flimsy.

Geof

DesertDog

I would not worry about loading up my 97 Steamer and heading to Alaska.  It has almost 50k on it and roars like a Tiger should.

I have a put a Vstrom skid plate on mine and it covers all the exhaust and the cross pipe.  And after 25k its beat to hell but no crushed exaust parts.

OK Tiger

did you put on engine guards beyond stock?  I have been moving around some Forestry roads and the gravel suggests I could tip over once in awhile ... thoughts?
Not the destination but the journey...for one wonders if we ever really arrive.

1996 Triumph Tiger
1967 BSA Hornet
2011 Suzuki VStrom 650

RiderX

I have the Hepco-Becker engine guards. They work quite well in a tip over.