News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Making the Steamer off road ready? Pure Dual Sport?

Started by OK Tiger, September 30, 2009, 08:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

What are your 'aggressive' tires?
\'96 Steamer

Colonel Nikolai

Thanks Mustang! The only thing I don't like about that mod is how the new threads are made. Seems like it can't last? Have you ever done this mod yourself?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mudhen

I used a rubber stopper I got at the local hardware store.  You lift the lever, press the rubber in, and clamp down the lever to expand the seal.  No threads...

But when I can work out a better method I most certainly will.  I don't like the thought that if I dump it over the plug could be popped out.
\'96 Steamer

Colonel Nikolai

Okay that's thinking outside the box. I'd be a little worried about heat and particles of the rubber coming off in the oil. I assume you carry a spare?

Mudhen

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"Okay that's thinking outside the box. I'd be a little worried about heat and particles of the rubber coming off in the oil. I assume you carry a spare?

Spare?   :lol:

I guess I probably should...
\'96 Steamer

fishnbiker

I did something like Mustang, but had a thick walled tube welded on at an angle, to fit up with a regular dipstick type stopper. It looks very clean & easy to fill with a standard oil bottle. The dipstick likely has to be sourced from a wrecker, then cut to fit to the bottom of the reservoir. I fabricated mine from scratch.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Mustang

Quote from: "fishnbiker"I did something like MUDHEN, but had a thick walled tube welded on at an angle, to fit up with a regular dipstick type stopper. It looks very clean & easy to fill with a standard oil bottle. The dipstick likely has to be sourced from a wrecker, then cut to fit to the bottom of the reservoir. I fabricated mine from scratch.

MUDHEN DID IT..............not me!

Mudhen

Quote from: "Mustang"MUDHEN DID IT..............not me!

Now, why you gotta go and be that way...don't want to take credit for my hack job? :lol:

I actually think I may have gotten my inspiration from you, fishnbiker.  When did you do that mod?  Someone on the Yahoo group posted it a long time ago...
\'96 Steamer

Colonel Nikolai

fisnbiker how did you get the surface of the sprocket cover so nice?

fishnbiker

The sprocket cover was block sanded out with #80 grit to provide a good substrate for 3 or 4 layers of JB Weld, then block sanded, up to #240 with wet/dry. 2 or 3 coats of low gloss black spray to finish. Old time car body experience helped. Carefull planning on the cut also made the cover fit with a gap only as wide as the Dremel cutter tool used to make the bends in the cut. About 1/8" gap, could be packed to keep it clean, but I'm not THAT anal.

BTW, there was a comment on the clutch being part of this assembly. The hydraulic aspect of the mechanism makes no gasket necessary on the top 1/2 to keep the adjustment right. The hydaulics take care of it no problem. A good wipe down should be done each time the cover comes off, to keep grit out of the clutch slave & push rod. I put a gasket portion in the first time, but it fell apart at the first sprocket swap & made no difference other than a bit of the chain lube leaking through the seam.  Hey, it's English, it's supposed to leak!

This mod has been on the bike for about 25,000km, 2 years, with maybe 40 ~ 50% being on gravel.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Colonel Nikolai

Very impressed at the clean look of the cover. Good work.

fishnbiker

Just wait untill you see the next project ... I re-arranged a Girly 3 into 1 header to fit the Steamer. Now cutting up the engine guard to fit over top. Pix in a few weeks.
Ken/Fishnbiker