News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

tool kit

Started by smoove b, November 26, 2008, 02:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoove b

Hey all, since I bought my 02 Tiger used, I got no tool kit with it. I am wondering if anyone out there has a list of tools they use for traveling for roadside repairs? I remember that the few times I have taken this bike apart, I needed a bunch of oddball torx sizes, allens and various other pieces to access the offending parts.  I have many bikes and dont remember which specifically I needed. Its not like my ktm where its all 13mm. hopefully theyll stay in the panniers and never come out!  thanx.

Mustang

for just general riding around stuff , say within a couple hundred miles from home ..........I don't bring tools . I can get home and recover the bike fairly easily so the tool kit is a cell phone and a debit card   :ImaPoser

On a trip of greater length , say oh a  1000 miles from home or more , I'll throw a tool roll in the luggage that has a ratchet , assorted sockets that will only fit my bike (don't bring the whole set only bring what will actually be used ) these are sockets to fit the front axle and rear axle , torx bit that fits the calipers , an allen wrench set  a 4 way screw driver and a 12 14 17 and 19 mm spanners a pair of vice grips two motion pro tire irons   a small radio shack volt meter a roll of electrical tape and some zip ties
and a Motion Pro  chain tool .
Sounds like a lot but it fits into a nice small tidy package and I can repair /replace just about everything on the bike , on the side of the road .

:D

Stretch

For long trips...

In addition to Mustang's list:  a spare stator and regulator / rectifier.  Ask me how I know.   :roll:

A siphon hose... six feet of 3/8-inch rubber fuel hose with an outboard motor primer bulb on the output end (so you don't have to suck fuel).  I have used it.

Tools to remove the battery and tank (since the cooling system is hidden under there), crash bars and alternator cover (to get to the stator), and both wheels.

An innertube if you're running unsealed wire spoke wheels.

Some sort of air pump (NOT a CO2 inflator).

Metric hex key set and Torx set.  You can usually get these that fold up like a Swiss Army knife.

paulie

good advice so far!  :wink:

theres an epic toolkit thread over on ADVrider that is a wealth of information. the best tip i took away from that thread was to write down each tool you use when you work on your bike. that way you can collect only the tools you need to bring with you. i've slowly started buying "compact" or multipurpose versions of these tools to save some weight.

also, dont forget compact tire inflator and plug kits. just in case! the slime compressor is the bees knees.

heres a link to the thread i mentioned: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998

ps, hopefully we will run into each other soon. we live close!

i took the liberty of attaching an avatar for ya.. i hope this is the reference you were going for  :twisted:
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

smoove b

I cant believe it that somebody caught the Smoove B Reference!
Of course you're in Madison.  I was there in late 80s in College when the onion started it was just 4 pages.  But I love Smooves columns theyre eloquently pathetic!

I am off to ride the Tiger from Phnx AZ thru CA to visit friends (many from madsion) all of December, then Im back here to park the Tiger and to fly to Argentina where I have a KLR.  (actually 2 of them if you know someone interested in riding Argentina).  email mailto:sbandnorton@yahoo.com">sbandnorton@yahoo.com if you wnat to folow up.  thanx  Smoove

eatalotapeaches

I'm starting to put together a tool kit.   Can someone list all the sizes of wrenches/ sockets, allens, and torx needed to work on a Tiger?   Plus any special additions, repeats, or tips.   What comes to mind is having 2 12 mm allen wrenches is handy for rotating the axle when adjusting the chain.
2003 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange 50k

Nick Calne

The way you might would approach this is by doing a little maintenance such as a service and listing what you use.  For most triumph bikes it is a surprising amount of stuff and also stuff that is slightly odd.  18mm spark plug socket, 12 mm allen keys, weird torx sockets etc....  I have no idea why triumph are like this.  I suspect that it is down to the heavy use of illegal substances in the Hinckley designer community.

Failing that, you could do what Ewan and Charley did on the 'long way round' and have a support crew.  :ImaPoser
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

iansoady

Quote from: "eatalotapeaches"What comes to mind is having 2 12 mm allen wrenches is handy for rotating the axle when adjusting the chain.

I use one of those double ended hex drain plug adaptors for car sumps etc - much smaller & lighter than a full Allen key.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Medic09

Quote from: "Stretch"An innertube if you're running unsealed wire spoke wheels.

Stretch, would you care to explain this further?  I've seen discussion about running tubeless tires on spoked wheels on other forums; especially SOHC4.  Over there one of the resident engineers and bike wizard adamantly takes the stand that the problem remains with the RIMS.  The bead of the tubeless tire isn't made for the usual spoked rims, and so there is some reasonable risk (especially at speed) that they'll seperate.  So, according to him and others, even if the spokes are all sealed, one needs a viable innertube.  The obvious exception is the BMW and Aprilia wheels that have the spokes mounted differently and intended for tubeless tires.

I'm certainly willing to read another take on this, if you care to elaborate.  I DO NOT like the thought of taking a tire off in backroadnowhere, USA if all I have to do is plug it and ride to the next town with a shop.

Thanks!
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

Stretch

I don't have any experience with it myself.  My Tiger has cast wheels and tubeless tires, and my dirt bike has sealant in the innertubes.

Several guys here on the forum have sealed their rims in order to use tubeless tires.  I'll let them answer the real-world questions on the subject, as all I know about it is what I've read.

My comment here was just to carry a spare tube if your spoked wheels are in factory-stock condition.

Medic09

Thanks Stretch!

On another note, have you posted somewhere the list of mods to your bike?  The passenger backrest and windscreen immediately have my interest from looking at your photo.
Mordechai Y. Scher

\'07 aprilia CapoNord
\'75 Trident T160
\'78 Honda CB 750Four

Stretch

I don't think I've made a list.  I do love to tinker, though.

I built the passenger backrest for my daughter.  The windscreen in the photo is an MRA Touring screen, available from Twisted Throttle.  I've had an MRA Vario on it for about a year now, and it's much better at reducing turbulence.

I guess I need to take a new photo... I've done a bunch of stuff since this last one.

iansoady

Quote from: "Stretch"Several guys here on the forum have sealed their rims in order to use tubeless tires.  I'll let them answer the real-world questions on the subject, as all I know about it is what I've read.

Me for one. Now about 12,000 miles with absolutely no problems. I really can't see how the tyre could come off the rim unless it's flat (and given the struggle I had breaking the beads, difficult even then).

Some details here
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

TigerTrax

Several Tiger riders have sealed spoked rims. For about one year there were a few that experimented with all kinds of 'combinations' of tape and sealant. But alas they got it down pat and it has worked quite well for many.

Keep in mind... you'll be changing tires every 10,000 - 12,000 miles
so you'll have an opportunity to inspect for any sealant breakdown, especially around the spokes.

Finally.... the spoked rims are a TUBELESS design. Anyone who has tried to break the bead on a Tiger rim knows it will test your mettle!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Sin_Tiger

Ian - did you use standard stick on weights when balancing?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint