News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger Brain

Started by MIMbox, September 30, 2009, 01:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIMbox

Because I am Bored i did some Brain Salad Surgery ( anyone old enough for the music reference?)on my spare Tiger ECU.
If you ever wondered what was inside.

Mustang

yep and the common failure of a Triumph Igniter box is the transistors that you see across the top of the board in the heat sinks
All a transistor is really is a switch , I had one fail on the 95 and it was the one that went to the #1 cylinder .It was fried so that all current was going to the coil all the time which overheated the coil and melted it

$2.55 for a new transistor from Radio Shack vs. $600 from TRiumph for a new Igniter , That was like 10 years ago .and that igniter is still working fine in Tigger #1

Most Bikes you won't have the luxury of opening up the ECU as they are sealed in epoxy resin .

Papalobster

I pulled mine apart as well due to the tach not ticking. Just a bit of a poke around looking for a burned trace or maybe an overheated resistor. I couldn't find anything amiss, so I buttoned er back up. Still runs great, still no tach.

Triumphs manual for tach repair. "Replace tachometer, if it still doesn't work, replace CDI unit" :roll:

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "MIMbox"Brain Salad Surgery ( anyone old enough for the music reference?)

Not ashamed to admit it  :roll:

You have a SPARE ECU  :shock:

Thanks for posting that  :icon_salut
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Stretch

Quote from: "MIMbox"Brain Salad Surgery ( anyone old enough for the music reference?)

No Google....

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.  Very surreal album cover art by Giger.

Sin_Tiger

Yup I have the album in the loft somewhere, it's next to my Dave Greenslade collection including the original "Pentateuach of the Cosmogeny", there is even a track on it titled "The Tiger and the Dove".

Giegers stuff is amazing but ultimately a bit scary (Sagem electronics is comparable), I'd love to see Gieger and Patrick Woodroffe colaborate on an album, weird man  :shock: pass the 'shrooms.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint