News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My dipstick is longer than yours!

Started by NebraskaRat, November 11, 2009, 06:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NebraskaRat

Just finished changing oil in my '05 Tiger.  It only holds 3.2 qt with new filter - not 4.2 qt. as manual says.  I looked at the dipstick on my '02 tiger sitting here in the garage and it is a full half inch shorter than the one in the '05, which probably accounts for the extra quart that will fit in the '02 (it holds the 4.2 qt).  Is anybody else out there getting the full 4.2 qt in their '05-'06?  I'm wondering if Triumph made a sump change in '05 or they just shortened the dipstick to eliminate the oil usage in some of the earlier 995 Tigers that never happened (wink, wink!) that may have come from overfilling.  Or maybe they just stuck the wrong dipstick in some of these engines?  My '05 dipstick has a trapazoidal cut out in the handle verses the '02 handle which is solid. Guess I'll go check the part number on bike bandit to see if the '05 dip stick I have is the correct one.

Mike

NebraskaRat

Sorry, I guess that would be Triumph "lengthened" the dispstick so the sump would hold less oil?

Mike

Stretch

Yeah, some 955's were having trouble with blowing excessive amounts of oil out the breather tube, so the engineers lowered the oil level a bit to calm it down.

flux

I stick 4 quarts in my 02 and call it a day.  Never had a problem with it.

2004Tiger

The dipstick on my 2004 also has the cutout handle and I am full with 3 quarts, bike upright and fully screwed in.

Let's get some numbers: From bottom of O-ring to top of full mark, my dipstick measures 5 1/4".

I never find it necessary to add oil between changes, although my oil level is at the bottom of the dipstick after 3000 miles.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

NebraskaRat

from bottom of O-ring to top of full mark on my '05 is also 5 1/4"
from bottom of O-ring to top of full mark on my '02 is 4 5/8" or 4 3/8' depending on which mark you use.

Stretch, were you kidding or serious with your statement? where did you hear it?

I remember Charlie W. From Iowa saying something about using a longer Tiger dipstick a year ago to reduce oil consumption.  I asked Baxter's about it at the time and Kevin said it was just internet bullsh@#t.  Now I see there really are two different length dipsticks.

Mike

Stretch

Quote from: "NebraskaRat"Stretch, were you kidding or serious with your statement? where did you hear it?

It's been common knowledge around here for two or three years.  And as you've discovered, there are dipsticks of two different lengths.

EvilBetty

Wild.  My Tiger is gulping a 1/4 a quart of oil after a single tank of fuel, but it never seems to go any lower than that.  There is evidence it's going through the breather hose, but I've changed the damn seal twice now and it's still doing it.

This kind of thing bugs me to no end.

I've never felt the need to do this, but I guess I'll go measure my dipstick!

There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

EvilBetty

Hmmm... well crap.  Mine is also 5 1/4"

So dipstick and oil seal ideas haven't panned out  :cry:
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD