News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Parts list for major service on a 98

Started by Smokescreen, October 08, 2009, 04:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokescreen

Hey guys. I'm the fng I guess and got a few questions about my 1998 Tiger 900. First off I am at 34,000 miles and would like to do a complete service on it. I know a few of the parts I will need, such as the shim removal tool etc. I was wondering if anyone had compiled a list of parts that would be needed to do said service. Unfortunately now the nearest dealer is over a hour and a half away so having info before I made the trip would be much appreciated since they don't have the best rep around.

I have a bunch more to ask about this outstanding bike but I think that'll wait for another thread. Thanks for any help.

JetdocX

At 34,000 it's a crap shoot.

You will probably need an air filter, oil filter, valve shims (but hell if I know what size), skip the tool and just remove the cams after you have made your measurements.

Also, your chain and sprogs will prolly be shot as will your throttle cable.

Brakes?  

Suspension?  Forks?  Those are prolly toast, too.  

Do I need to go on?  Is this bike new to you?  If it is, then go over it slowly.  Fixing one item may lead to several more knackered items.  I hope you have more patience than I currently have in me fro my 98.
From parts unknown.

Nick Calne

I agree with JD....

I would split this down into a series of weekend sized tasks otherwise you will exhaust yourself financially and physically!  At this kind of milage many bikes have been neglected by their previous keepers.  :evil:

There are also some things that are weird about steamer that dictate the order in which you do things.  For instance, changing the chain requires changing the oil. So do the chain and sprockets before changing the oil.
I would sit down with the haynes manual and make a list and then organise it into managable chunks.

How much you end up buying by way of parts / service items depends on what you find and the condition of the bike.

If it were me (and it was recently / still is now for some things - I am a new-to-Steamers-guy myself) I would start with something like:

1. Sort the brakes.  This is independent from any other tasks and I think stopping is a cool thing when necessary.  Every time I have failed to stop in the distance I originally planned it has ended in tears.  You will need pads, fluid, seals as required, check your hoses as they too may need replacing.

2. Sort the chain and sprocket.  At this point you might need to do the rub block chain slider thingy.  Search this site for advice from wiser men than me on how to do all this.  You will need a rub block doo-dah, filter, oil, sump plug washer perhaps, chain, sprocket set and the tools to do this.  Sort any niggles with the back wheel while you are thereabouts too.

Ride around.  Note anything dodgy.  Then I'd wait for winter when it's too crappy to enjoy the riding and sort the rest in the warmth of the garage.

3. The third block of activities that can happen all together is the stuff under the tank.  Valves, new plugs, carb work and air filter etc.  Again the wise men of tigertriple have written the bible on this.  Filter is another weird design.  Disassemble the bike completely, install filter, rebuilt entire bike.  Or so it seems.  The middle spark plug is also a bit of a fiddle if you haven't got the exact right tool.

4. I would have a look at the fork oil, front wheel, grease / check the cables etc.

After that it should be easier to keep on top of the maintenance...
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Smokescreen

Thanks guys! I have a lot of work I want to do on it, but at the moment the pressing issue is the valve service. I have access to boxes of shims. I just don't know all the gaskets and such that I would need. Another problem I'm having is that I cannot read the engine number. It appears to be stamped before they powdered the engine. I have tried everything I can think of to read it with no luck. Any suggestions would be welcome. This place is amazing when it comes to info, you guys rock!