News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Daytona coil

Started by Papalobster, August 06, 2009, 03:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

before you take it to a dealer ............pull the valve cover and check the valve clearances , it's real easy .
if you find an intake at zero clearance , correct it and try a new plug and see what happens . assuming you find no signs of anti freeze leaks .

Colonel Nikolai

:idea: Now you're talking, because the guy I bought it from gave me his "bag of goodies" he keeps with the bike when I picked it up: Manual, service log, a bottle of gear oil for the chain and a 50/50 mix of antifreeze/water in a shampoo bottle for ... :shock:?

The oil looks fine, but my spark plug tool can't get under the spine to remove plug #2 :oops: (how the heck do you guys deal with that?) so I'm getting ready to throw in the towel and take it to the dealer. Call me a wimp but to me it seems like it could be any one of 4 problems that could take me weeks to sort out.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Colonel Nikolai

Hey, by the way, I've been through Reno on my Sprint and stopped at Freedom Cycle (triumph dealer) with a gasket leak on a Monday morning on my way back across the country. Those guys dropped everything to help me and got me back on the road in an hour. Nicest dealer experience I've ever had. :lol:

JetdocX

Yeah, those guys at Freedom are on the good dealer side.   :wink:

They give me a frequent parts buyer discount.  I own the only Steamer in town. :wink:
From parts unknown.

JetdocX

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai":idea: Now you're talking, because the guy I bought it from gave me his "bag of goodies" he keeps with the bike when I picked it up: Manual, service log, a bottle of gear oil for the chain and a 50/50 mix of antifreeze/water in a shampoo bottle for ... :shock:?

The oil looks fine, but my spark plug tool can't get under the spine to remove plug #2 :oops: (how the heck do you guys deal with that?) so I'm getting ready to throw in the towel and take it to the dealer. Call me a wimp but to me it seems like it could be any one of 4 problems that could take me weeks to sort out.

Get the correct tool.  And the right length extension for your ratchet.  It's trickey, but you can do it if you think about it a bit.  Spark plug tool in hole, then insert extension and couple with the plug tool.  Then push those two down and engage the spark plug.  Install ratchet and loosen.  When plug is completely disengaged realease the ratchet, lift extension and disconnect it, then grab plug tool with pliers and remove it from the hole with the plug.  Working on the Steamer is joy like this. :evil:
From parts unknown.

Mustang

Colonel Nikolai

Good thinking, JetdocX. I went to the dealer and got a OEM tool for the bike which has a tool that fits under the spine and comes out (sans plug, though) without needing to be disassembled. I got it at the same time I dropped off the steamer to get a diagnosis.

You are the only guy with a Steamer around there?! That doesn't make sense! My dad lives in Carson City, just down the pike from there. I visit there so what's cool to see on two wheels?

Colonel Nikolai

So checking the valve clearances are easy, Mustang? I've always been told it's not, but in my Haynes manual it's rated at "3 wrenches" out of 5 in difficulty, and I've done loads of 3-wrench jobs before on my Sprint. I should  just bite the bullet and do it next time.

Mustang

checking them is easy ..........changing shims can be a PITA .
not too bad pulling the cams but does make for more work  than it should be .

JetdocX

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"You are the only guy with a Steamer around there?! That doesn't make sense! My dad lives in Carson City, just down the pike from there. I visit there so what's cool to see on two wheels?

Oh hell!  What is not to see?  I live in motorcycle pardise.  Unfortunately, the job is moving me to the Bay Area (SF).  Let me know next time you come through.  I have a "spare" bike that my friends have been known to use. :wink:
From parts unknown.