News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

From bad to worse

Started by FrostedFlake, October 13, 2009, 03:06:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oxnsox

A few minutes for the fuse to blow suggests that it's on a circuit with some resistance in it rather than a short. Otherwise it would have popped straight away.
I'm guessing you are probably drawing about 35amps given it takes a few minutes to go.

Look for wires you have squashed, as BB and Stretch suggest. It's possible you may have crushed a couple of wires together to cause the problem, rather than just crushing against the frame, so you may have to feel along the loom to find it.
If you can't see anything obvious, when you put your next fuse in... feel along all the wiring looking for a hotspot... you've got 5mins..   :)
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FrostedFlake

Well, drained and pulled the tank tonight.  Nothing obvious in the wiring, so I started it up and let it get warm.  Started feeling all along the loom and the individual wires for hot spots, jiggled all the connections, never found anything unusual.  In total, I let it idle for 20 minutes while checking things out, and it never got below half on the temp gauge, fan kicked on and off as usual.  I'm stumped.  

Guess I'll put it all together tomorrow and give it a go, see if I can get it to act up again.  Weatherman says it will be a nice day for a walk.  :roll:   I still plan to take it to the dealer next week, regardless, and see what his take is.

FrostedFlake

Dropped my bike off at Eurosport Cycles in Fort Worth on Wednesday.  Gave them the full story, asked that they set the TPS and look for anything out of the ordinary that might have caused the blown fuse and possible overheating.  They called Thursday evening and said I was good to go - reset the TPS, cleared some codes, spent a couple of hours checking all the things I had checked before with the same results - nothing wrong.  They rode it on a twenty-mile loop and pronounced it healthy.  It does run much smoother with the TPS set, just like it used to.  I brought it back home and put some time on it today, no issues at all.  I guess I'll never know what blew that fuse, but for now, I'm just going to ride.  Thanks again for all the comments and help.  

BTW, that new 1050 SE with the matte black and gray is damn good looking in person!  I have to admit, I'm tempted...