News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

green road tax?????

Started by aeronca, November 14, 2009, 03:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Thank you guys, I feel better now that I know I am not just ranting in my padded cell alone, there are other padded cells next door  :lol:

Seriously it's comforting to know that I am not alone in feeling that my intelligence is being insulted by clowns that can't do joined up thinking for their policies.

Oxnsox, what are they thinking, maybe you won't need bike insurance soon, sounds like a tax to prop up medi beurocracy.

TT I'm not sure about the guns bit but I take your point, the only thing we have left is a vote and we are now in a minority if the voter turn out in the UK is to be believed  :shock:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

oxnsox

We actually have a pretty good Health system here AND a sort of 'No Fault' compensation scheme to cover folks medical and rehab bills for any sort of accident.... no chance to sue.

With med bills going up and more idjits on bikes, seems the system pays out way more to bikers than it gets in.... 6000 rode up to Parliament today to protest (out of a population of 4mill)... seems the Govt. may back down on the increase, so it will probably only be 200%  :lol:  :lol:

And I agree with Nick.  If the cost of getting aboard a bike gets 2 high I can see that it will mean more folk riding who elect to pay nothing. And many of the safer riders will simply say enough, and give up altogether.  Net result more rough riders on the road paying less for the services they are more likely to need...

But at least we won't be wearing GPS tags.......
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TigerTrax

Guns is never the issue.
The use of guns to defend one's property and liberty is the issue.
Unfortunately many societies have been 'watered down' in their thinking
as to what gun ownership is all about. I can assure you, it's far better than
throwing rocks!

This started out as 'green road tax' . . . but there is much more of an underlying problem: Runaway government.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

aeronca

you said it tt. the green thing is a gateway. it always starts out with something that sounds like a great idea - to better our lives, or make us safer, but in the end it always snowballs into something bigger. something to further someones carreer in polotics. truthfully it was never about anything to do with us, but personal ajenda's of a certain few who choose to sponge there existance off our tax dollars, and we keep putting them back there for some unknown reason. i guess it's a lemming mentality.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Bixxer Bob

Since my last post I've read a book (a one without pictures or bikes in it) written by a previous Chancellor of the Exchequer in the UK called Nigel Lawson.  He was head of the treasury for the UK govenment albeit not a very good one.  But that doesn't matter because the subject is global warming which, as he points out, is not the same as climate change.  The title is "An appeal to reason - a cool look at global warming"

It flys so far in the face of current thinking that he couldn't get a single mainstream publisher anywhere in the world to print it.  He had to go to a small private house in the end.

If you never read another "proper" book in your life, this one's a must.  If only we could get a copy to Obama.  Mr Lawson quietly and carefully dismantles the whole arguement for CO2 emmissions control being the only way to save the planet using logic and reason; two things sadly lacking in the KYOTO crowd.

To paraphrase just one small paragraph, "The whole arguement is based not on science but computer models (models that have been tweaked because they were wrong more than once already).  It's like taking long term weather forecasting, long term economic forecasting and long term population estimation,  assuming that these are all accurate tools and basing strategy on the output".

The nub of it is: forecasts for 100 yrs time predict the well off nations will be 5 times better off than they are now, poor nations will be 9 times better off.  The predicted impact of global warming is that they will only be 4.5 and 8.5 better off respectively,   BUT THEY WILL STILL BE BETTER OFF THAN NOW.

Could you imagine the victorians deciding to do without the industrial revolution 100 yrs ago to benefit us now?  No,  didn't think so.

I'll get down off my box now, but it really is the most sane piece of analysis I've ever read on the subject.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

QuoteThe title is "An appeal to reason - a cool look at global warming"

I must look out for that, are you sure there are no pictures of bikes in it  :wink: , not in the bikes section of the library then :lol:

QuoteUnfortunately many societies have been 'watered down' in their thinking as to what gun ownership is all about.

You won't get an argument about that here, when they increased the UK gun controls, the only people who gave them up were the decent people who had a legitimate reason for having them and properly registered. And knife legislation, don't get me started. I believe a recent statistic showed (whatever you want) that gun related violence had actually increased. It's about police on the streets and enforcement IMHO, you can be sure your taxes are not going into putting more Bobbies on the street, and what happened to 5 yrs with hard labour?

We often moan about things here in Singapore but they are a hard nosed bunch and we have a lot to be thankful for. The biggest laundry in Singapore is in Changi prison, they make money and the inmates get pay to get them started when they get out. The biggest call centre is in the womens prison, when you call for a pizza or a big mac it goes into the prison system and is then routed to the nearest outlet to you.

You never hear about this sort of stuff from politicians who go on "fact finding jollies (sorry missions)" to other countries  :roll:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

oxnsox

A book tittle to look out for BB, thanks for that, thou doubt I'll find it at this end of the globe easily.

Whilst I agree that Global warming is an issue, and yes our emissions probably don't help... it's a cycle that has been going on for millions of years.

Earth heats up, crust gets thin, volcanoes get more active and throw (carbon?) dust and crap into the atmosphere which blocks out the sun (and kills the dinosaurs), less sun things cool, ice-age (more dead species), clear skies, melting ice... and we're back to discovering oil and re-inventing motorcycles...
Soo maybe we're just speeding up the process a little

Our good old green Country has increased it's CO2 emissions by alot in the last 10 years apparently... now about 50% of all bad gas from this country comes from Bovines bums, and we are all facing a higher green tax bill for the privilege. If the food chain ain't farting in this country, but in a less industrialised one, someone explain to me how that actually changes the bad gas output globally... and more important why I should be taxed on it.

Green tax is, in my mind, a bit like me paying someone in the UK to promise not to sleep with someones wife in America.... and in money terms it all seems a bit too familiar to how the global banking system used to operate.

Oohh feel some wind coming, gotta race off to the Carbon sink and do it down there..... see ya
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bixxer Bob

Another gem from the book:

In the antartic, the only ice that is melting floats on the sea, so no effect on sea levels (just like the ice in your drink doesn't make it overflow when it melts - and I'm not talking because you drank it first ...) and is a very small percentage of the total volume.

A rise in global temperature would mean it would actually snow MORE, not less so the ice on land will THICKEN.  this is due to the temp being so low that the air is very dry so snow can't easily form (mostly whipped up off the ice by the wind).
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Colonel Nikolai

Bixxer Bob, I agree with you in principle: Computer models are garbage in / garbage out. Just one fact, though: The last time this planet had 350 ppm of CO2, crocodiles swam at the poles. Just because we don't fully understand the impact or mechanism of climate change doesn't mean that it's not happening or that we aren't causing it. I would err on the side of caution.

I recently read an article about a study going on that takes into account human impact of global COOLING. Namely the causes of The Little Ice Age. The hypothesis is that during this period Europe and Asia were undergoing pandemics of the Bubonic Plague. Estimates find that for over a generation France may have lost 45% of its arable land to reforstation (because so many people died, so there was nobody to plant, so the forests came back). When this happened, the forests yanked billions of tons of CO2 out of the atmosphere and caused a 10ppm drop in world wide CO2 levels, thus cooling the planet.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

oxnsox

QuoteA rise in global temperature would mean it would actually snow MORE, not less so the ice on land will THICKEN. this is due to the temp being so low that the air is very dry so snow can't easily form (mostly whipped up off the ice by the wind).
... and then one day it rains.  Bugger!!!

Not sure this makes sense to me... Says it will snow more, but snow doesn't form easily????
Whipped up 'snow' will be created due to surface ice rotting (drying out more), but there must be regular snow fall there somewhere for it to compact and form the ice in the first instance???
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

aeronca

once again, it was never about you or me or the world, but bigger profits and more power. READ THIS. it's all over the news  http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/james ... al-warming
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

zombie

And don't forget 2012 is just around the corner so ride while you can
we're all doomed I tell ya Doomed

TigerTrax

Told my wife I want to make sure I mowed the lawn before the
'big bang'!

But . . . on the other hand:
The Mayans weren't that great. Yeah they built a pyramid; I hung drywall!

But. . . if they were so frigging good at stuff . . . . where'd they go?

Even Art Bell can't find them.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

coachgeo

Quote from: "TigerTrax".... . . . where'd they go? Even Art Bell can't find them.
bwahhhhaaaaaaaaaahahaha :lol:
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

oxnsox

I believe you'll find them in Atlantis....
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~