News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ok guys, I need some advice

Started by Smokescreen, November 08, 2009, 09:47:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokescreen

I've just got done doing my 34,000 mile valve service on my 98 Tiger. Now I've developed a running issue I can't quite figure out. It seems like the engine is missing throughout the rev range. When I did the service, the #3 plug electrode had burned completely off. I've also had that same plug jump out of it's home and wind up on top of the valve cover. (Mechanic's error I'm hoping) I've been reading on here a lot lately, and have read that it could be the coils, wires, or carbs that could be giving me this issue. The bike will start and idle, it just doesn't seem to sound right when rolling on the throttle. If any of you have had this issue or something similar I would appreciate all the help I can get. At the moment this also happens to be my only mode of transportation so obviously time is something I'm short on. I am located in Monroe, GA if any of you may be local and be able to lend a hand. Thanks for everything guys, this site has been the most useful tool I could have ever found! I love my Tiger and want nothing more than to be riding a triple again!

Mustang

start with the coils if yours are marked Gill which they probably are on a 98 .
The nology coil replacements are plug and play to replace the originals it will cost you 200 bucks but it is worth it!

The stock gill coils usually crap out and start playing up at around your mileage , 30-35 k .
they can't make a hot enuff spark under a compression load . if you notice that the bike comes alive and runs fine in the higher rpms above 5000 rpm it's the coils ,

nightrunner

35K.  HA!  The coils on my 98 gave up at 3500 miles.  I did the conversion to on-the-plug coils from a TT600.  I sold my old coils (two were still good in theory) but I still have the plug wires if you are in a bind.   Its usually not the wires though.

I'm in Douglasville, GA.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Smokescreen

Would you happen to know the procedure for testing the coils? Mine are marked PVL Germany. I have read the how-to about making my own wires and will give that a go as well when replacing the coils. I really don't have the money at the moment for the nology's, would any other replacements be ok? I've also read about the tt600 coils and have found them on ebay. Just wondering which is the better option for me at the moment. Once again, thanks for all the help guys!

nightrunner

Bench testing is easy.  You get an ohmmeter and measure between the terminals.  Should be about 1 ohm.  Then from either terminal to the housing.  I forget the number.  Its here somewhere.  Like 11-13 megaohms.  Here's the rub.  Bad coils can still pass this test.   They fail under the load of charging and discharging rapidly.  Mine all tested fine but at least one would misfire under a load.    Sorry man.  

The cost effective way to go would probably be the TT600 coils assuming you can wire them yourself.  You'll also need the extra narrow spade female connectors (as opposed to the standard 1/4" ones that you'll find at the auto pars store).  Radio Shack might have them.

What about buying one Nology?  I don't think the bike would run with two bad ones.   Buy the next Nology when the next stocker goes out.  

Are you sure this isn't carb-related?
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Smokescreen

Ok, so I just ordered the Nology coils. Should be here Thursday. I'm going to be making my own wires as well. I hope that this will solve my running issues. If they do not help, it would almost have to be carb related no? Once again thanks for all the help guys. I'll keep you posted. I would really like to attend one of these tiger rallys I've read about!

Mustang

the nology coils will make the steamer idle happy  happy happy and it will start easier and just plain be more pleasant . the plug wires you have as stock are probably fine , but I did go with the nology Hotwires on mine also only because I sweet talked the wife into getting them for my birthday last year , and hey they were still cheaper at 100 bucks for the set than the OEM plug wires  LOL

the only other known item that goes tits up is the ignition pickup sensor on the right hand side crankshaft it will usually cause a dead motor when hot  though and not a misfire . 70 bucks from the stealer/dealer

If you have a carb issue with the Keihins it is only going to require that you pull the float bowls and remove the pilot jets and give them a thorough cleaning , ( you can pretty much count on the carbs as being bullet proof though compared to the mikunis on earlier tigers )

But if you want to wake the kitty up ...........
105 main jets and 2 1/4 turns on the pilot air screws and shim the needles up about .030 of an inch with washers , and the big ol hole in the powerband at 4-5 k rpm will be gone .

Smokescreen

Ok guys, one more question. I have solved my running issue and now I can't get the damn gas tank to bolt back up. It's off by like a quarter inch no matter which way I try to start.  How is this possible? I've had the same issue taking the tank off and on before but now it seems like the issue is just getting worse or more frustrating or maybe both. I'm needing to get this thing back together soon. I've been without transport for almost 3 weeks now and this is the last thing I need to be back on the road. Thanks for all your help so far. Sorry to keep being a pain in the ass

Nick Calne

Hi smokes, can you be a little clearer about where it isn't bolting up.  It's hard to envisage exactly what you mean. Nick
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Smokescreen

If I get the front bolt started, the back two are off. Vice versa, if I start the rear two the front is off. I can sometimes get it so close lining up, then the bolt still won't start threading. I've noticed this problem before just can't figure out this rubick's cube geometry Triumph likes using.  :roll:

I'm gonna read the above link and give it a go again here in a minute. Gotta let my blood pressure get back to normal levels.  :evil:

Thanks for all the quick responses! You guys rock!

Mustang

Tip :
The pc that you are trying to get the TWO screws into is held on to the frame with four bolts loosen everything and then see if you can get the screws to start and then tighten all bolts up once you have them started

Smokescreen

Mustang, you are a f***ing genius!!!!  :D

Thank you so much! That tip was just the ticket to getting it back on. Just did a shakedown around the block and let me say, I LOVE MY TIGER!!!! Now time for a fresh tank of petrol and air up the tires and I'm headed to the mountains tomorrow! I can't say it enough, YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST! Ya'll have no idea how happy I am that I found this place.  :bowdown

I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures to post since I have yet to put a single one on here.  :wings