News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1999 tiger needs steering bearings replaced

Started by Joe Geddes, August 18, 2010, 03:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Geddes

Just a question in replacing the steering head bearings in a 1999 tiger. Is this a job that should be left to mechanics or is this something that an average person can do. I have done the valve check and shim replacement last winter.

Looking for some advice.   :?:

Bixxer Bob

If you've done shims you can do head bearings.  Just have a good manual to hand, read it several times until you are sure you understand everything, then get stuck in.  

Oh, and if you've not done your fork oil recently, it'll be worth factoring that in while you have the stanchions off - killing two birds with one stone so to speak.  And while the calipers are off the stanchions you may as well clean / service them as well.  And since you're doing that you might as well change the brake fluid too.

See how a simple job quickly grows?

I've not needed to do the head bearings on my Girly yet, but on the 'Bird I needed a drift to knock the old outer races out.  Tigger is probably the same so have something to hand - and go careful with it.  Getting the bottom inner race off the 'Bird was a real b***h so eventually split it with an angle grinder (a lot of care not to nick the yoke tube or the bottom yoke but do-able).  I'll draw something later.

If Chris Canning picks up on this thread he'll probably have more wisdom to throw in as he's in the trade and done pretty much every job a Tigger needs.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4611

the Girly bikes are pretty much the same  procedure .......

Joe Geddes

Thanks for the advice, those pictures from the link just gave me all I needed to do it myself.  :D

If I had all of the parts, and did the forks at the same time could you get this done in a day?

Mustang

Quote from: "Joe Geddes"Thanks for the advice, those pictures from the link just gave me all I needed to do it myself.  :D

If I had all of the parts, and did the forks at the same time could you get this done in a day?

Yes but it will be a lonnnnggggg day !

Joe Geddes

Well got started today, one of my biggest challenge was no centre stand on the bike. I think this took me the longest time as I was worried that it would fall over at some time. The tank guards sure came in handy.

I sent some picks on how I was making out. Parts should be in tomorrow so I can start putting it back together.

Thanks again for the help

blacktiger

20000 is a bit low for needing head bearings but sometimes they're not greased as well as they could be at the factory. Also depends on how the bike has been used.
Well done for tackling the job. It is quite straight forward if a little time consuming.
I've done mine twice now. 1st at 28K and again at 60K. I found the best way to remove the lower inner race was but cutting through it with a dremel.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Chris Canning

What no center stand how do you survive,10 years ago they were daylight robbery,but you can now buy genuine ones for peanuts.

http://www.worldoftriumph.com/accesslist.pdf

Joe Geddes

Almost all back together, back order for a new air filter. :cry:  Made some mistakes on putting the forks back in but didn't realize until I had gotten the tire and brakes mounded. I had some cables on the wrong side of the forks.  :oops: Looked at it for long time but the only thing I could come up with is to drop the forks back out get the cables at the front, I got lots of practice putting the front tire and brakes on. Will know better for next time when I change the bearings out. :roll:

Can't wait to get it out on the road, I'm sure its going to feel like a new bike.

Great project, thanks for the help.